Radeon 7000 for Mac OS 7

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by dpaanlka, May 21, 2006.

1. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I finally got full Radeon 7000 2D, 3D, and QuickTime acceleration working under Mac OS 7.6.1 (with some tweaks)! I created a custom installer just for Mac OS 7 if anybody is interested in trying this:

http://www.system7today.com/

Thought I'd let everybody know.

2. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

That's awesome, Dan!

I wanna buy a oldie PowerMac to just fool around with old OS 7. :)

3. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    yeah thats neat! I think system 7 is cool, but I like system 7.6 the best.. the apple system profiler and the improved graphics made it look great..

4. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Yeah, he says on his site that 7.6 is the one that he is using... plus, a domain name as system7dotsix wouldn't be that good, would it?

5. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

In hindsight, I wish my site was Mac OS 7 Today... I even registered the domain macos7.com. I actually forgot about that until just now. Mac OS 7.6.1 is the version I focus on at my site, since thats the most stable version by far, plus the only version that will run things such as Internet Explorer 5.

But I just unveiled that new site design this week, and have to focus on taking all the content from the old site and putting it on the new one.

BTW the Radeon really tears Mac OS 7 apart. It's sooo fast, even on a stock 8600/200.

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

7. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yeah... games like Tomb Raider, Future Cop, Nanosaur and Bugdom run great with it. So long as a game uses QuickDraw 3D, and runs in thousands or millions of colors (unlike Quake, which forces 256), they get full acceleration under Mac OS 7.