Radeon 8500 vs. GeForce 4Ti

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Draft, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Draft macrumors 6502

Does anyone know of a comparison of these two cards? Maybe including features, benchmarks, etc.? Also, does anyone own one of these cards that has an opinion of it?

Thanks,
    Draft

2. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

I couldn't tell you much anything about those particular cards, but in my experience Nvidia cards have usually been superior. I love the Geforce2, and the geforce 4 in the PC is nothing short of spectacular.

3. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you talking about the Geforce 4 Ti or MX?

Draft

4. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Geforce 4 Ti in the pc....a 4600 or 4400, model i think, i'm not quite sure right of the top of my head, its one of those.....she flys through jedi knight II like its candy

5. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

With all of the extra stuff, like FSAA? Does FSAA even help older games, like UT and Q3?

Draft

6. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Wow, you know i really don't know if it helps.....somebody who has more then my half a brain cell needs to get in on this and give us some real info other than my Thats coooool

7. job macrumors 68040

job

I know that FSAA is supported in most games that use the Quake3 engine, i.e. Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

I'm not so sure about the original Quake3 though. If I remember correctly, Ati seems to do a better job of supporting FSAA than nVidia does.

Personally I'd wait for the Radeon 9700 to become available and purchase that if you are aiming for the top-end card.

By the time that is released, the GeForce 4Ti and Radeon 8500 will be available for a reduced price so you could still consider those cards as well.

8. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

Where can I get specs on the 9700?

Draft

9. 8thDegreeSavage macrumors 6502

uhhh...www.ati.com:D

i am personally gonna grab a 9000, they will be a great value...9700's are not out yet.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: Radeon 8500 vs. GeForce 4Ti

From everything I've seen on PC-related sites, it's the GeForce 4Ti...either 4400 or 4600 (which seems to be the Mac version). The early look at the Radeon 9700, though, says that it's faster than the GeForce 4Ti.

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The 9700 will be shipping (pc version at least) in September with the price being ~$399.

I will be getting one as soon as I can, hopefully before the end of October (installing it into the game pc).

BTW, The Radeon 8500 received 10 out of 10 from one of the pc mags, edging ahead of the gf3/4 (whichever was nVidia's top dog when the 8500 came out) in most of the benchmarks, even with the latest drivers. If you want an ATI card that beats nVidia's current line of cards, get either the 9000 Pro or 9700.

No matter which card you do purchase, something better will be out in under 6 months, that is just the nature of the beast.