Radeon 9000, 64 vs 128

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Muskie, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

Hey guys,

I was looking to upgrade the card in my G4, and so I searched around here a while back, read all the stuff about the 9800's and how they dont support ADC for G4s and all that good stuff. I recently discovered on ATI's site that they now have a 128 version of the 9000 pro and am seriously considering buying it. I game quite a bit, and I'm in school for graphic design so I use Adobe's CS and a few other programs. Nothing that's terribly GPU intensive in that sense, besides the gaming. Would it be worth the $150 they are charging? I don't mind dropping $150 if its gonna help with better framerates in games (CoD and MoH:AA mostly, ut2k3 also). I'm also planning on going to a gig of RAM to help with some of my Photoshop sluggishness (only on large renderings), so that should help as well.

So basically I'm just curious what you all think. Would it be much of an imporvement at all to go from the 9000 pro 64 to the 128?

Thanks!

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

I don't see upping your video card will give you that much improvement. Save that money for that GIG and that will inprove your performance.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

A 128MB card will give you almost no improvement. A Radeon 9800 would be the only thing that would give you any significant increase in speed for games. Photoshop, Illustrator will see virtually no improvement going from the 9000 to 9800.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352