1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Radeon 9000 in a AGP Sawtooth?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by raysfan81, Oct 18, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

So I got my 9800 pro installed in my MDD and now I think it would be great to put the radeon 9000 in my old powermac as it would be much better than the Rage 128. I just don't know if it will work because it has that unusual front connector that I assume is for the ADP.

2. macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

The Radeon 9000's extra pins are for powering the ADC connector. If you have one of the original Sawtooths (350-500MHz single G4), the ADC port will not work. However, the other video out should work. The card is AGP 2X/4X compliant, so it should function just fine, minus the (unpowered) ADC port. So, as long as you don't want to hook up an older-style Apple Cinema/Studio display (without adapters), you'll be fine.

Enjoy the Radeon 9800! I've got one coming for my main machine (single G5) too!

3. macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

I just plugged in the 9000 and all of the things are purple on the screen. :mad: Maybe it is because the screw wouldn't fit back once I put the new card in...

But so far I really love the 9800!

4. macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

If the retainer screw for the card doesn't fit in, that means that you've either not put the card in all the way/straight, or there's a physical incompatability (which I didn't know about). Try re-seating the card; it should fit flush if it works.