Radeon 9200 in G3 runs Slooooooooowwwwww!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sparky's, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Just got a new PCI Radeon 9200 for mac G3 (running a Sonnet G4-500 CPU) and maxed the RAM to 1gb. After insatllation I launched Links Championship Edition and the game runs like I'm watching a very, very, very slow motion movie. Just to see how slow I went to play a round (at any course) and when I clicked on the mouse to hit the ball I had to wait 1 minute for the club to reach it's back-swing so I could click the mouse again to hit the ball. It took 5 minutes for the ball (once hit) to travel the distance and come to rest so I could hit the second shot :eek: I can play real golf faster than this.

Anyone have some insight??

I'm running OS X 10.2.8, Sonnet G4-500 CPU, 60gb Maxtor and 6gb (factory) internal HDs 1gb RAM, and the Radeon 9200 PCI graphics card.

I'm wondering if it's maybe a "Links" problem. My "Myst-4" seems to be running no better or worse.

At least when I had the old G3-400 CPU and the original Graphics card I could at least swing the club in real time, but not now. :confused: :confused:

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That uses a lot of OpenGL memory. Perhaps, if you were using 10.3.5 or above, the performance would be much better.

3. Sparky's thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

I run SCSI periphials, can't go there. I run 10.3.9 at work (and hate it) I'll have to investigate the Open GL issue and see what this game consumes.

Thanks

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Make sure you have thel latest drivers off ATI.com (the ones off the CD might not be the most recent).

5. unfaded macrumors 6502

Really OpenGL has improved with every OS X release, so 10.2.8 is going to perform worse than Panther or Tiger.

The fact that it's also a PCI bus is going to make things far slower, as games today are built assuming graphics cards on an AGP bus 8x faster than PCI allows.

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

look into the 9200 drivers, it's the only ATI card never to ship in a mac but ship retail.

7. Azurael macrumors regular

Erm... My Mac mini has a Radeon 9200, as did the last generation of eMacs. iBook G4s currently have Mobility Radeon 9200s (same chip but clocked lower) - so not really a Retail-only thing, though I guess it was never available as an actual AGP/PCI card for Mac beside the ATI retail model.

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

PCI-agp and even if it were an agp card cards integrated into the motherboard dont use the same roms.

9. Sparky's thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

First thing I did after installing the card was to download the latest driver from the ATI site. I really think it's a Game issue because after posting this thread I launched my "Myst V Revelation" and it works wonderfully. Also I have no other problems with any other graphics programs. I don't do a lot of gaming so it's no great loss. I'll take Links CE to work and play it there at lunch ;)
    Sad thing though is I see no real improvement from the old Radeon 7000 (32mb RAM) card to this one (128mb RAM) :confused:
    I'm on a really limited budget when it comes to computer stuff. I'm still like the guy in the commercial who walks by the store window and drools at the sight of the next gadget (in my case an iPod regular - $299) just can't spring for it. It took me 4 years to afford to upgrade my G3 to a gig of RAM.

Thanks for the input though I do appreciate it.

10. Lucky736 macrumors 6502a

Lucky736

Hey Sparky's E-mail me. I may be interested in picking up your old 7000 if your interested!