Radeon 9700 arrival...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ottomatic, Mar 3, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

Anybody out there have the slightest idea when this is going to be available as a BTO?

What exactly does available soon mean when it was announced a month ago?

Has Apple ever featured a product on thier site that was supposed to be available but wasn't?

Everytime I configure my Dream Machine I get an error about availability and 'try again'.

Wouldn't they know how much to charge for it by now? I don't mind waiting for it but I'm tired of checking for it every single day!

p.s.

thanks for letting me vent folks...

2. macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Re: Radeon 9700 arrival...

Dunno if you were around for the same GF3 fiasco like this, but they actually let people order the machines, but kept them on backorder till the card's were ready.
    If they have it on the website allready, than they expected it earlier by now, either ATI or Apple is having problem with making them. Could even be as simple as unfinished drivers though..

3. macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Radeon 9700 arrival...

Hmmm...
    not a very impressive strategy on thier part. Why do you think they haven't worked out the pricing?

4. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

They did this same crap with the geforce3, it finally was available but only as as bto option 6 months later or so the finally started selling the card by itself. I think the reason for this is that apple has to make these cards and then make it work unlike the pc world. So when they get it right they probably will have a limited number that they will sell only with new macs. By the way i just saw that the 9700 gpu will be bumped up by ati, who knows how long it will take before we see it in the mac world.

5. macrumors 6502

The Radeon is $300, same as the GF3.

6. macrumors newbie

So why wouldn't they just pre-sell it?
    Why sacrifice immediate sales and risk
    pissing someone off?

7. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

.. only BTO...?

Does this all mean that the card would only be available for BTO machines?
    So us "lucky" MDD (or any other G4 AGP 4x) owners have to wait another two months before we could order it.... Damn it.
    By that time the PC world will have considered the "old" 9700 as absolete, and the bumped 9700 (=9800?) will be available everywhere for the same price as the 9700 for Mac.
    It really never changes.

8. macrumors 6502a

timbloom

I guess this is just a matter of opinion, would it make you more mad to have your machine waiting for a month after you ordered it, or not being able to order it for a month.

9. macrumors member

Not being able to order it is worse.
    If I have ordered and am waiting I'm not checkin the Apple site every day to see if I can please spend $3500. Oh please please please take my money that I've been saving for the last four years...