Radeon 9800 glitches and drivers!?

Discussion in 'Games' started by neonart, Dec 6, 2003.

1. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Ok, so I got my 9800 and was all excited. Put it in and my machine crashes on startup, then kernel panics the next time. I was able to get it to start from a CD and the HD has problems. Run disk repair and it says it's fixed. When I rescan it still shows it needs repair. Run disk repair it says it's fixed and the cycle continues.
    Oh well. Machine runs OK.
    Ok, lets try the 9800 at last. The OS feels great! Exposè actually feels smoother and faster. Great.
    But I didn't buy a near $400 graphics card for exposè. Now to try the 9800 on my favorite game in the world Ghost Recon. Absolutely no improvement in FPS. Nothing. Good thing is I can turn on shadows and max everything (1600x1200) with no real drop in FPS, so thats good.
    Now to try the nifty ATi Overdrives! NOPE! Try any of them, especially FSAA, (which looks amazingwhen it's on) and night vision becomes completely glitched and choppy. AARRGH. It's ok for the first game and then the glitching will not go away unless you restart the machine. Turning off ATi ovedrives does not work.
    I searched and found these to be common problems, but no real fixes. Has anyone found a solution? Any recommendations? I'm running 10.3.1.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

i got to make a comment, a better video card means higher resolutions and the ability to use shaders,Fsaa, and to turn on more eye candy but a new video card will not mean faster frames by itself, only faster frames at higher resolutions and perhaps a few more at the lower resolution. the cpu hast be able to feed the card. Neonart i wonder what machine you have the 9800 in? one more point. g4 machines can not push this card after all it was made for those 3 gig Intel machines so what do you think this card does with a single or dual G4? not much. after all the motorola G4 has been stuck for a long time.

3. neonart thread starter macrumors 65816

neonart

As my signature states, it's a Dual 1.25 with 2GB of RAM. Your probably right about it's inability to push the Radeon, but it's the HUGE glitch in night vision that really bothers me. Regardless of how I set the card or disable overdrives, even erase the profile for the game, the problem occurs. So to play properly I would have to go back to the 9000. Not cool.
    This is definately a 10.3 & 9800 Driver issue and I'm hoping someone has any info or a hack that can make this work...

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

sorry to hear your troubles, i have been eyeing the 9800, but i might just keep using the geforce3 until the next machine ( g5 imac?)unless they introduce faster cards soon. really surprised at your problems. how is the card performing on other games? also anychance you have a bad card?