Radeon 9800 Pro and 30 in. Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Stampyhead, May 25, 2005.

1. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I'm hoping someone here can help me figure this out.
    We just bought a 30 in Cinema Display to accompany the G5 (2.0 Dual) we have at the office. The guy at the Apple Store suggested we get the Radeon 9800 Pro video card (256MB) to run the monitor, which we did. The only problem is that I can't get it to show a resolution higher than 1200 x 800 (approx., I don't remember the exact numbers). When I hook it up to my 17 in Powerbook which has the Radeon 9700 running at 128 MB the resolution is right where it is supposed to be. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the monitor won't display at the correct resolution on the G5? Were we misinformed about the compatibility of the video card?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I thought only the 6800 and the 9650 could correctly drive the 30 inch display. (and the 9700 in the powerbook with the upgraded video ram). If the apple guy told you to get the 9800, maybe I'm wrong.

3. carlos700 macrumors regular

The ATI RADEON 9800 cannot run the 30" display. Only the ATI RADEON 9650, ATI RADEON X800 XT, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT DDL, and NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL.

4. Stampyhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Wow, that sucks. Are you serious? That's the last time I ever trust anything the Apple Store guys say. My boss isn't going to be happy about this...

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

just go back to the apple store and tell them.

6. Stampyhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I doubt they will take any responsibility for the stupid stuff their sales associates say. Anyway, I bought the card from newegg.com, and I was able to get them to take it back (minus their restock fee). I guess we'll have to go ahead and buy that $600 NVidea card. At least I know that one will work since Apple sells it in their online store. Thanks, everyone, for your help.

7. TrashCanDan macrumors member

Thats unacceptable. Being the Apple store they should at least know the requirements of thier pro products. Otherwise, how do they expect to sell anything? I'd get chewed out big time I did that at my work.

8. Stampyhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I know, exactly. Me too. I'm more than a little ticked off about the whole thing. I lost almost a whole day installing and troubleshooting the stupid thing and now we are going to lose money sending the card back. But since I didn't buy the card there I doubt there is anything they could do about it even if they wanted to. I might go in and talk to the manager just so he knows what's going on. It won't change anything for me but it might help the next unsuspecting sod who comes along hoping for advice from an Apple Store sales associate.

9. zach macrumors 65816

zach

Don't buy that retarded nvidia card.

Just get the Radeon 9650 off eBay or something, there are tons of people selling them who ditched them for x800 mac editions..

Or, if you must have high end, get the x800 mac edition.

The 6800 is really a pointless card to get, it costs more than the x800, delivers only equivalent performance and takes up two slots instead of one.

10. carlos700 macrumors regular

The NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra/GT DDL is not pointless. They are the only cards that will run two 30" HD Displays. Anyway unless you crave NVIDIA's Shader Model 3.0 technology or desire to run two 30" displays I would get the ATI RADEON X800 XT Mac Edition or if you want cheap find the ATI RADEON 9650.

11. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Well apple "Officially" says it can't but.....if you see it work then I belive you.....pics ;)

12. toddya macrumors newbie

Apple Cinema 30 issues

Unfortunately everyone is right (pretty much).

The only displays that run the ACD 30 inch right now is the....

ATI Radeon 9650 (ships as BTO or w the 2.7ghz G5 pre-configured)
    Maximum is (1) 30 inch display and you plug it into MONITOR #2.
    I think MONITOR #1 maxes out at 1280x1024 on the 30 Inch.

ATI Radeon X800XT (retail box you buy it on your own) sells for $450-$499
    (average dealer cost is about $450 so trust me, no apple dealer is making much on this item, let them make a meager $50 on it)
    The X800XT goes 30 inch on the DVI port, and the other port is a ADC (Apple propritary connector). Which will also go DVI, but you need to buy that adapter separately. WHICH IS STUPID IF YOU ASK ME! However, they give you TWO DVI to ANALOG (DB15) connectors.

I know this, as I own a X800XT.

Apple GeForce 6800 GT or 6800 DDL Ultra (they support up to TWO 30 inches). Both use DVI only, you can buy adapters to hook up a ACD monitors or a ANALOG (DB15) monitor.

As everyone suggests depending on what you are going to do, you can go with the Radeon 9650, but if you plan to do heavy work on it. DO NOT GO THIS ROUTE. As CoreImage uses the GPU to do processing and your 2.3Ghz G5 will suffer. Get the X800XT or the GF6800.

As much as people rag on the GF6800, I think I'm going to get one. I have two 30 inch displays and the X800XT can't do it. So I'm probably going to return it or sell it (here or ebay). hahaha

If you need any input, PM me and I'll offer any help possible.

Take care

Todd