Radeon 9800 Special Edition upgrade

Discussion in 'Games' started by oingoboingo, Sep 14, 2004.

1. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Other World Computing had a special deal on the 256MB Radeon 9800 Pro Special Edition last week...US $329 for one which had been opened in the store, versus the regular price of US $379. Too good to resist. So...a week later, and here I am with the card installed. The average FPS on the UT2004 Antalus Flyby SantaDuck Toolpak benchmark, at 1600x1200x32, Maximum detail, has jumped from 38.8 FPS with my previous Radeon 9600 Pro card, to 80.4 FPS :D The best I'd ever been able on that benchmark get from the 9600 Pro was 50.1 FPS (with a 30% core overclock).

The only downside is the G5 runs slightly noisier now, due to the extra cooling fan on the 9800. I'll learn to live with it though :) Next step...overclocking!

2. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Sweet!

But for some reason I don't see that great performance on mine :(

3. oingoboingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Really? Are you running the full retail version of UT2004, or the demo? The SantaDuck benchmark program runs with the sound turned off, so the FPS figures it produces, while good for directly benchmarking video card to video card, probably don't produce absolutely accurate scores.

What kind of scores are you seeing on your setup?

4. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Oh god that's why...

Without sound there's a HEAVY FPS increase typically.

5. oingoboingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

I've just been playing some Onslaught on the Crossfire map on the net, and the FPS has been staying at 30 FPS and above. That's on 1600x1200x32, High details, and all features turned on. Very nice...no slowdowns noticeable at all. Will have to do more benchmarks tonight...I've gotta get to work!

6. osprey76 macrumors 6502

Do you guys have the OpenAL patch? There was something that was supposed to make the sound processing more efficient. I have DP machine, so I don't see the hit since I have a second processor to do the sound work. On the other hand you probably get better framerates than me with your G5's versus a 1.3 GHz Dual G4.

7. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

It's cheaper (and unopened) through www.buy.com

They have free shipping and 15 bucks off your first order. So 348.99 - 15.00 = 333.99 I don't know who's buying these cards on ebay for 400 bucks a pop.

8. oingoboingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Do they ship international? And if so, is the free first time shipping applicable to international freight? I have ordered things from Other World Computing for delivery to Sydney on a number of occasions, and it always turns up within 5 working days of the order being placed, and is exactly what I asked for. The 'opened' status of the product didn't bother me, since it included all the original packaging and accessories, and was covered by the full original warranty too. But thanks for pointing out the other dealer.

Edit: Just checked the Buy.com website. They don't do international orders. Almost no-one in the US does. Some dealers in Sydney are asking AUD $950 for a Radeon 9800 Mac Edition (approx US $665). US $329 was the deal of the century.

9. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I placed an order with buy.com for the SE and they emailed me 5 days later to tell me it was no longer available. I wound up getting it through newegg. This was all about a month ago.

10. a2daj macrumors member

With the demo, yes, with the full retail version of UT2K4, not as much. The demo still has the bug in the sound code (not in OpenAL) that causes a huge CPU hit, which affects single proc systems the most.