Radiation poisoning from wireless...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by umdjb, Feb 4, 2007.

1. umdjb macrumors regular

Hey,

I was wondering if wireless routers (namely the Airport Extreme Basestation) emits hazardous radiation? Should I be worried and place it a good distance from me?

Thanks!

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

3. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

These units - and others similar - don't emit "radiation" - they transmit high frequency signals through the air. Quite a difference - and I would say that you don't need to worry and living in the same room with it.

4. umdjb thread starter macrumors regular

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Then you should be fine then. If it did they would have to put one on there (governments standards)

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Pretty sure that you are safe from radiation umdjb. :)

7. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

No warning label on cell phones but they emit radiation right next to your brain! :rolleyes:

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, the Airport Base Stations emit radiation.

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

The base station does emit electromagnetic radiation (not the radioactive kind, thankfully), but no more I imagine than your cell phone, cordless phone, microwave, radio, TV, powerlines overhead, etc, etc. There is radiation all around us.

10. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

Think of all the talk radio poisoning your brain as you sleep!

*Runs for my faraday cage*

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Not unless you're assembling a critical mass core of some radioisotope inside.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

13. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

Radio waves radiate from their source and are therefore called radiation. The electromagnetic spectrum covers everything from UV to visible to infrared, so all those are radiation too.

14. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Well, I think that by the OPs title of 'Radiation Poisoning' that they are referring to beta/gamma decay of radioactive isotopes. It's not like we refer to radiation poisoning when speaking of overdoses of GHz-frequency electromagnetic radiation. We call that being 'microwaved'. :p

15. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

1) Yes, that is radiation.

2) No, it isn't enough to do you damage. Linkety
    "Radiation in physics is the process of emitting energy in the form of waves or particles."

16. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

i don't think you should go outside. the sun puts out a lot of radiation and has been determined by the surgeon general to cause cancer, especially if you live near the earth's poles where there are holes in the ozone layer. and please, for your own health, stay away from all lights and anything else. and don't forget to put a good barrier to keep out radon from below too.

in order to remain healthy, you should build yourself a lead lined house with no windows (preferably underground), drink only pure distilled water and don't eat ANYTHING! that way you will live until you die, and you will confound medical science because they won't be able to figure out what your died from.

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

802.11 radiation wavelength is measured in centimeters.

Radio waves are non-ionizing, which means they cannot cause what is called "radiation poisoning".

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

crap all the cells phone and radio waves!!!!!! haha no i think its pretty safe

just gonna get my aluminum foil hat to stop the aliens from picking my brain waves now lol jk

19. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

20. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

some people make you wonder. but then when I go to Currys or anywhere that has TV's for sale, and are on, i feel sick from the electrical buzz.

I cant admit that wifi makes me ill though, its a small device, not 100 huge TV sets.

*sigh*

21. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

post of the day goes to you, sir :D

22. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Wow - a subject that I know something about (I'm a radiation physicist)!

The simple answer, as mentioned above, is that it emits EM radiation but of the non-ionising variety. Ionising radiation (X and gamma rays & some higher energy UV) is by far the most dangerous variety of EM.

Non-ionising can still cause harmful effects but as a result of tissue heating. The amount of radiation emitted by a wireless base station wouldn't be capable of any tissue heating and detrimental effects require a sustained temperature rise of several degrees. Non-ionising radiations are governed in terms of SAR limits (mobile phones, MRI scanners etc) and a base station would be well within these limits. And em fields exhibit inverse square behaviour too - double your distance from the source and get a quarter of the exposure.

Short answer, you're fine. :)

23. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You can go on your whole life worrying about every scare that you read about. Alternatively, you can just get on with it, which will probably lead to a happier, more fulfilled life, and since you can spend more time on doing what is good for you instead of worrying, you are likely to be healther and live longer as well.

24. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Unless you're cradling it on your testicles, I would probably not worry about it.

25. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

To be on a safe side, you can always wrap yourself in a layer of tinfoil. I believe, even tinfoil lattice should completely isolate you from any electromagnetic influence from within. Plus, it would look modern, unique, and cool, especially in Apple's colors: "Put some color on" :D