Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

savvos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Okay, I've been a lurker on Mac Rumors for many years and I joined the forums for one reason. Has anyone out there beaten Radical Castle? I have been trying to beat this game on and off for over a decade and I just can't figure it out. If anyone is interested in trying to figure this out with me, let me know.

For those of you that don't know, Radical Castle is an old World Builder game from the 80s. It's pretty humorous and fun to play. The game is available for download on the Macintosh Garden and the author of the game, Chistopher Wigginton, has commented on the game there, so it looks like he's cool with people downloading it as abandonware. Here's the link:
http://209.120.136.205/index.php?show=game&id=1008

The game won't run under classic, so I would recommend using vMac or another emulator from site like Emuscene.

If enough people are interested, I can put up a partial walkthrough I made for the game and a map of everywhere I have explored so far.

DarkonP

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
If you take a look at that site again, you'll see the solution. :)
Walkthru would be nice.. altho it's been ages since I finished it. I wish it was available for the pc. It's a "simple" (as in graphics) adventure, but it was a lot of fun! I was disappointed about the end tho...:(

funnyone

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2008
Omg I loved Radical Castle, never did finish it though. How do you run the file from mac garden in vMac?

savvos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
vMac

I created an "external" HDD .dmg file for vMac using Disk Utility and I just drag and drop games into there that I want to play. I haven't used vMac for about a year now, so I don't remember all the details fo how I set it up.

How awesome would it be to have one Mac emulator for the various processors/hardware Apple has used, onto which you could load several Mac OSes and select the one you want from a side bar to run any Mac app from 1984 up to OSX? Makes me wish I had mad coding skillz...

theorem604

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
So stuck... Someone please help!

So I played Radical Castle when I was a kid, back in the late 80s and could never get past the dungeon area. I just recently got the vMac version and began playing again and am stuck in the same way again. Does ANYONE have ANY sort of tips for this game? I want to figure it out, but I am so stuck and just want to get a little push in the right direction.

Can you actually beat the dragon? What do you do with the bottle you get from the bar? Does the crown, scepters, or the crystal ball have anything to do with anything? So confused! I love this game and really want to figure it out, but I keep going around in circles!

If there is anyone who has beaten this game, or at least gotten a little further than I have who can give me a tip that would be awesome! I want to finally solve something that has been puzzling me since I was 12, but I feel so lost!

Anything would be awesome, thanks!

neonmeatte

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
New York, NY
I just managed to beat the game (finally). I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just say that you need a special tool to unlock the oracle and you get this by defeating the demon. Throughout the course of the game, you pick up lots of stuff... but hardly any of it was necessary to win (just the key, the wishbone and either the apple or carrots).

Last edited:

gotcaffeine

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2012
what next?

I've been working on this game for a while. I played it relentlessly and I could never finish it when I was a kid. I've been trying to crack it.

I've freed the oracle and picked it up....but nothing happened. I thought that would end the game. What do I do now?

DarkonP2

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
I've been working on this game for a while. I played it relentlessly and I could never finish it when I was a kid. I've been trying to crack it.

I've freed the oracle and picked it up....but nothing happened. I thought that would end the game. What do I do now?

You need to go back to where you came from (when you came in through the tunnel). Before that, you go west (I think as far as possible.. it's been 20 years or more since I played it). Then dig with the shovel. This will make you go back to the castle at the beginning. Then deliver the oracle there.
I have NO idea what to do next.. I mean.. I dont think there's a purpose after that, but the game isn't really 'over' then.. I think....

If anyone knows more.. I would love to know! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.