Radical fabric is one atom thick

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Oct 22, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

2. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Neat.

Suddenly the price of a package of paper shoots into the millions of dollars.

3. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

4. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

could something the thickness of an atom and the size of a sheet of A4 be seen?? how would it look??

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You would think that ordinary light might not have the necessary wavelength: hence electron microscopes.

Just a guess...

6. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I was going to bring that up, depending on the linear density of the substance, it would be hard to "see" it at all. Weakly interacting particals like photons or neutrinos wouldn't interact much as there isn't much substance to interact with. Nor would charged or strongly interacting particals interact much because the barrier they would need to penetrate would be so "small" that tunneling would be easy. So I would think it would be difficult to "see" without the aid of electron microscopes or scanning tunneling microscopes.

7. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Reading the previous posts, this could be the single most important advancement in the field of Lingerie since the use of whale bones in corset! :D

No really, back on topic. I wonder if this could eventually used in other applications than electronics and superconductors. I wonder how resistant / light this "fabric" is.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

This discovery of a one atom thick fabric sounds awesome. Sounds like we will have to wait and see the future nanofabrics.

9. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

LOL!
    This seems like a real breakthrough but 10 years! We will have to wait for lightspeed nano tech.

edit, just thought of this. If you had a piece of the material infront of you say A4 sized then would it be totally invisible or would you be able to see a slight distortion as the light passes through it? How thick do you think it would have to be for you to be able to see it?

10. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I you make it any thicker, it's no longer 1-atom thick material. :)

Kiff! We have a conundrum!

11. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

that's whats being bothering me... it'll be thin that's for sure... but its surface area will still be A4 sized... so would it actually be invisible when seen face on??

12. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I think what he means is the surface area, if you look at it face on (210mmx297mm) then surely you'd see it??

13. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

1-atom thick? Light's wavelenght... I don't understand anymore... Ah! Got! It! MAGIC!

So simple.

14. raynegus macrumors regular

15. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

LOL.
    Of course, but it's not for 10 years :rolleyes:

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Actually, they've come pretty close to this before.

Ever see Dolly Parton in a too-tight T-shirt?

17. J.Allen macrumors member

I'm glad to say NO

you may need some help, I'm haveing trouble just imagining it.

18. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

think about a piece of hair, it has many atoms in it when you look at it under a microscope. But how hard is it to see a hair? I don't think that you'd be able to see it, you can't see spiders webs half the time and how big are they?

(I think) this stuff would be nearly invisible, can anyone comment for sure? any scientists about?

19. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I already did comment ;)

20. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Oh and it would probably be near transparent, but work as a defraction sheet. But it wouldn't work well as a defraction sheet because most atom and crystal defraction works on the basis of there being many evenly spaced atoms through a crystalline lattice. It would of course be easy to see with a scanning tunneling microscope. but to the naked eye and normal microscope you would probably see interference lines, not the surface itself.

21. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

thanks, sorry only just noticed your original post! that'll teach me for reading too quick! its good to know there are some scienists using macs too! :D

22. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

staring at it head on would be similar to looking through a ultra-fine mesh screen. you'd see distortion of light (very little) but you wouldn't see an actual solid surface. looking at it any other way than head on would most likely render it "invisible" to the naked eye.

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ooooooo-kay....