Radio station to give American "liberals" a voice

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by medea, Feb 19, 2003.

1. macrumors 68030

medea

A liberal radio network in the United States that would challenge the current supremacy of conservative talkshow hosts could be on air by the autumn. The plan has been prompted by the success of the Republicans in last November's mid-term elections and a feeling that the national agenda has shifted to the right.
    The idea is to create a radio network that would make use of the liberal leanings of the entertainment world to try to change the climate of political debate.
    For years, the right, with the likes of the Rush Limbaugh Show or programmes hosted by Oliver North and G Gordon Liddy, have set the agenda, according to supporters of the new network. Now, they say, is the time to fire some broadsides from the left.
    Behind the plan are venture capitalists based in Chicago, and Jon Sinton, an Atlanta-based broadcaster, who will be its chief executive. There is already $10m (£6.3m) invested and there are hopes of raising up to $200m.
    Two previous attempts to launch such a network, featuring the former New York governor Mario Cuomo and the maverick Texas politician Jim Hightower, failed, though those behind the latest plan are optimistic they will find listeners.
    "We believe this is a tremendous business opportunity," Mr Sinton told Associated Press. "There are so many rightwing talkshows, we think it's created a hole in the market you could drive a truck through."
    Al Franken, a satirist and writer, has been touted as a possible contender for the role of liberal talkshow host and he is said to be considering the idea. The hope would also be that big-name comedians or actors would also become involved.
    Mr Sinton said the idea would be to entertain rather than preach. "We want to take an issue and make it funny and engaging," he said.
    Rush Limbaugh reaches 15 million listeners with his syndicated show which taps into conservative issues, currently the French and their position on Iraq, and also such topics as gun control, affirmative action and gay rights.
    National Public Radio, the closest thing in America to the BBC, is funded by foundations and subscribers and has 12 million listeners for its Morning Edition programme, and 10 million with All Things Considered, but these are news magazines that aim to give a voice to both sides of an argument. NPR is often accused by the right of having a liberal agenda, a charge routinely levelled at the US media by conservative commentators in much the same way that the Thatcher government accused the BBC of a leftwing bias.
    There is already an established leftwing radio network - Pacifica Radio - which, for more than half a century, has given a voice to the left in Berkeley, Los Angeles, New York, Washington and Houston. It runs extensive news and discussion programmes and provided live coverage of the big anti-war rallies in the US last weekend. But Pacifica is short of cash and it is not possible to tune in in many parts of the country.
    The left lacks a talkshow host with the charisma of Oliver North, who was convicted of lying to Congress over the Iran-contra affair and who turned his notoriety into a successful radio career with Common Sense Radio. As well as Limbaugh, there is G Gordon Liddy, the former FBI agent jailed for his role in the Watergate burglaries but now boasting a syndicated show broadcast on 232 stations.
    Michael Moore, whose film Bowling for Columbine has been nominated for an Oscar, has been mentioned as someone with a liberal agenda who is also funny and can hold his own in an argument.
    The plans for the new launch will provoke an argument about the definition of "liberal" - often used as a term of abuse by the American right. A series of best-selling books has claimed that the US media is in the grip of liberals but commentators on the left point to the increasing corporate control of the major media outlets and, for instance, their failure to report the growing anti-war movement until recent days.
    http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/2-19-2003-35851.asp

2. macrumors member

I have been waiting for this to come about, I'm quite eager to listen to Al Franken and Micheal Moore dish it out on the radio, it is about time.
    I can not wait to set this station on my radio.

3. macrumors member

The left controls televsion and the newspapers. For some reason the right seems to dominate the radio and books. I've heard this is because the public has more of a choice in books and what radio to listen to. There is a very limited source of newspapers and 99% of tv has at least a slight liberal spin. Dozens of liberal radio shows have failed cause people don't like it. Maybe this new project can make it. Being a republican I know it sucks to listen/watch/read extremely bias media. I think its fair that the liberals have a voice on radio. I just wish there could be a neutral source of media so I could decide what I like and dislike.

4. macrumors member

It's called NPR.
    But I agree, it might not be a good idea to have a whole biased station that is all "leftist" but as you stated liberal shows often dont make it on their own and usually because of backstage radio politics. I know that there is enough of an interest for this project to work and stand.

5. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i would totally tune in. i love al franken anyway... this is just cool, don't know if i like the celebrity backings...

pnw

6. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

Liberal media... what a concept. One of the greatest "memes" (sound-bites that embed into the natioanl conciousness) I've heard is "The Liberal Media". We know that's not true, don't we? Actually, I'd rather not listen to any far-leaning voice, left or right. What we need is, well, some voices of reason. Take the shrew-bi**h Ann Coulter and have her hold hands with, say, Harry Belafonte, and you might see a matter-antimatter explosion that would be heard in Europe. NPR is fine, I listen to it daily. So why isn't it more popular. It's the other part of the media I despise: news as entertainment.
    (Wow am I angry tonight! Please no hate letters)

7. macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I thought the Jews controlled television and the newspapers.

8. macrumors 68020

alex_ant

The problem with liberal radio shows is that liberals can't use the same tactics conservatives use in their "discussion." Up against conservatives, liberals really do look like pansies, and Joe Blow doesn't like that. You can't go on an angry Rush-style tirade about environmentalism or social justice without looking like an extremist fairy, because it just won't work. Conservatives have succeeded in having their cake and eating it too, using their minority position to dominate government and still benefit from all the advantages that minorities enjoy - namely unity against a greater "evil." Conservatives see themselves as Apple and they see liberals as Microsoft. Have you ever seen somebody pro-Microsoft be successful in, say, a no-holds-barred OS debate? They can't be successful, because they look like fools. I can't even imagine a liberal Rush or O'Reilly, getting red in the face with anger over something.

9. macrumors 6502a

etoiles

But Microsoft IS evil (getting red in the face with anger) !!!

:D

10. macrumors member

It's already there. What about Pacifica? That's a left wing radio network if there ever was one.

11. macrumors regular

The left "controls" television??? Have you seen CNN or Fox news?

12. macrumors regular

Conservatives see themselves as Apple and they see liberals as Microsoft. Have you ever seen somebody pro-Microsoft be successful in, say, a no-holds-barred OS debate? They can't be successful, because they look like fools.

Exactly! Apple users will win every time in an OS debate because they have the truth on their side. Same goes for Conservatives against Liberals.

13. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

Excellent post. And what LOOKS better on TV? Conservatives put on quite a show, and the sheep are falling for it.

14. macrumors 65816

ejb190

Which brings us to a whole 'nother debate. What is left, what is right, and where is the middle?

The media, be it TV, radio, or print, is time or space limited. It is simply impossible for a story to be done and not have one side or the other accuse the media of leaving out some key point critical to that side's arguemnt. Therefore, depending on which side feels they have been slighted the most, that media outlet leans the other direction...

15. macrumors 6502

Alan Colmes on the Hannity & Colmes talker on FNC provides a pretty good blueprint of what the left could muster in a counter-Limbaugh if they wanted to; at least he's able to smile and laugh while making cogent arguments.

Sad thing is, while Fox is preparing to go national with Colmes on syndie talk radio, many on the left are gritting their teeth and not supporting the idea because it's coming from Fox. That's about as stupid as conservatives discounting William Safire because he writes for the NYT, but it's no different.

16. macrumors 6502

Media Bias

The times, they are a changin'...

There once was a definite left bias in most "mainstream" media outlets. Remember having once read a survey of tv/film/video professionals in which 85% considered themselves "somewhat liberal to very liberal." Broadcast and newspaper journalism framed their questions from an underlying assumption that to be conservative was to be anti-intellectual and backward, and to be liberal was to be well informed and noble. FLAMING NOTE: I am painting with an EXTREMELY wide brush here, and exceptions to this abounded then and now...

But fast-forward to today, and the complaint of a "left" press rings a bit hollow. I personally feel that balance has finally been restored. Fox has pulled CNN back toward the center by threatening them with comparable ratings. The increase in number and influence of truly conservative news outlets (World Net Daily et al) has evened things out very effectively.

America is becoming more conservative and there is nothing the left can do about it. Example: I don't really care for the"O'Reilly Factor" as Bill's histronics and knee-jerk populism bug me, but doesn't he get 500% better ratings for his show than Donahue's? Phil has the huge name recognition and a previous viewer base to draw from--why does he get SPANKED by O'Reilly in viewership? Simply because the public is weary of the shrill condescending diatribes of the liberal left.

I have to laugh at the actors banning together to protest the pending conflict with Iraq, especially when Martin Sheen confidently states that "inspections work." Every report from Hans Blix et al and nearly every UN resolution of the last 12 years has had to address the various and sundry ways that inpections haven't worked. Is anyone convinced by these posers? I think they do it to impress each other with their "compassion" and "involvement" with an issue other than their own careers (which are bolstered by the publicity anyway). They certainly aren't convincing the average American very much, I would guess.

Anyway, I am glad for a bit more political equity in the media as a whole.

17. macrumors regular

<sarcasm on>
    Yah, Its about time for the libreals to have a voice...They have been denied it for so long.
    <sarcasm off>

The "left-wing" people in this country basically run Prime time television, movies, music, and most major news outlet.

18. macrumors regular

Are you implying that conservitaves are mindless fools who get their marching orders from Rush Limbaugh? That is the single most insulting thing I have read on these forums. Grr...

<sarcasm on>
    Yea, I agree. Besides, everyone knows that EVERY libreal voter is well informed and their views are well thought out and based in reality.
    <sarcasm off>

Grr...again.

19. macrumors regular

I'd say that yes, most conservatives are mindless fools, I mean you call yourselves conservatives meaning 1. Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change. Things do and need to change. Traditional views are flawed.

20. macrumors member

Fox? CNN? NBC/MSNBC is owned by GE. Do you understand that "the left" implies a desire to change the distribution of wealth from its current top heavy state. When have you ever seen a call for the redistribution of wealth or an empassioned call for social programs on network television?

And yet because network TV shows some bias towards gun control and abortion rights we're hit with a constant barrage of talk about the liberal media.

When the corporations that own the networks start allowing, for instance, some pro-labor pieces it might reverse the current state of conservative media.

21. macrumors regular

Wow. I am a mindless fool?

While I agree some traditional values are flawed, I tend to think that certian people (like yourself, if I am to read anything into your post) are of a "throw the baby with the bathwater" mentality. I'd say thinking everything to needs to change is a very closed minded way to think.

Things have been changing for as long as there have been people, and will continue to change. In the political sense, conservatives are more about change than liberals. We want to change the tax policy. We want to change the way government deals with social problems. We want people to be more empowered to control their own lives.

I guess it was silly of me to try to respond (or have an intelligent discourse) with someone who goes around calling people of certian political persuasion names. I feel sorry for you, and your way of thinking that drags discussion down to a childish level. But whatever....

Smile. Think positive. Have a good day.

22. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Conservatives seem to need this liberal media myth. It works very much like a church -- all information coming from sources which does not support The True Way must be declared Hopelessly Biased and Utterly Wrong. The other prong in this attack on the acquisition of knowledge and free thinking of all kinds is the implication that the information we are feeding you is The Complete Unvarnished Truth, and there's no need to look elsewhere, ever. It's probably the most cowardly propaganda strategy in the world, but it seems to work wonders. Clearly it's got great "legs." Machiavelli would have loved it.

23. macrumors regular

liberal bias in the media is soooo completely obvious, the problem is most of the people associated with these media outlets are whole-heartedly liberal and don't see anything wrong with reporting from their perspective, rather than an objective one. there are so many books about this topic, to argue against it is hilarious. check out the book by bernard goldberg, who himself primarily votes democratic, he even raised serious questions about the liberal bias and was basically black-balled by his peers for daring to speak about it. it really makes you question the way you view news reports.
    liberals should have a podium on the radio waves to spew their rhetoric.... the problem is, and why it has failed in the past, the average joe who listens to talk radio just isn't buying what the liberals are selling! no audience, no ratings, no advertising dollars, and you've got no radio show!

24. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

Gee, you know... I'm a pretty reasonable person and a strong moderate. I also hate dissing anyone, I honestly do. I come to these forums to try to help me understand things. I'm no brain surgeon and have never claimed to be. I read this post and thought "Okay Les, you're not the sharpest tack in the world, but you don't have to be particularly smart to see that this post is a load of crap". Everyone deserves opinion, but at least you have to try to prove it with something resembling a "fact" or at least a reasonable facsimile, instead of hinting at "books", quoting one book and filling the paragraph with flawed observations. Hell, I don't even know which sentence to begin with... they're all so... dumb. I for one await your analysis on the above statements before I tap the ignore button... (I'm expecting to be ignored myself, but so be it. Maybe I'm just growing tired of fighting and subconsciously want it. If anyone watched Frontline this evening, you might feel the same way.)

25. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

which way does nbcmsnbc slant? i tend to like it more than most news channels. for whatever reason

i like brian williams. seen him on some talk shows where he's not so stiff and he's funny as crap. i dno't even know what channel he's on these days though