radio streams and airport express stuttering

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by homeshire, Oct 9, 2006.

1. homeshire macrumors regular

setup = iMac g5, airport express
    software = iTunes, RealPlayer
    issue = streaming radio, mp3 streams, real streams
    problem = stuttering streams

for a long time now, my streams all stutter. they drop out as well, but it's the stuttering that has me flummoxed. doesn't matter if it's an mp3 stream or real stream. they are almost intolerable. i strongly suspect that the issue is with the airport express, or at some point along there. the issue is not the stream as it originates from the sender

i also have no idea what to do about it. may i have some tips or suggestions? i devote considerable time to listening to radio streams. i don't want to give them up. but this is horrible. thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are these streams stuttering if you play them through the inbuilt or physically attached speakers? Are you getting a good reception rating for your AirPort? Have you tried changing the channel it is broadcast on? Is there much other network traffic at the same time? :)

3. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

all good questions --

i don't know how good my answers will be. i am playing them through the attached speakers. airport signal is all bars by the menu bar icon. network traffic is beyond my ken. could you tell me how to check that? also, how would i try a different broadcast channel? thanks for your response.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well I assumed you were streaming back via AirTunes to the Express but you're not, which is a good thing because it simplifies the setup. You can check the network activity in Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder by clicking on Network in the bottom right corner. If you take a screenshot of this window whilst your radio stream is stuttering then that might help us see where the problem lies.

If the problem stems from interference with the wireless network, then changing the channel via the AirPort Admin Utility (also in the Utilities folder) might also help. This is done at the bottom of the default opening page by selecting a different number from the drop down list next to Channel.

Also, I forgot to ask before; is your internet connection otherwise acting normally (I assume these are streaming from the 'net)? :)

5. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

will try your suggestions. as far as otherwise acting normally, yes. it doesn't seem to have any other effect. for example, downloading remains unaffected. also these are streams from the net. i don't think this matters, but they happen to be streams from german radio stations. DW mp3 through iTunes, NDR Info real stream through RealPlayer. thanks for responding/.

6. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

screenshot

here's a quick screenshot while stuttering is occuring. i have the stream playing right now, and it is indeed stuttering.

Attached Files:

7. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

another shot from the dock. i say this in ignorance, but it seems that when i see a red shot into the green, that is a moment of stuttering in the stream.

Attached Files:

8. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

another question

i went to airport utility to change channels, and i am a little reticent in that no specific channel is selected, rather it is set to automatic. should i try putting it on a specific channel?

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Automatic is okay and it is meant to avoid conflicting interference problems, but it's not perfect. In the AirPort Menu Bar, make sure Use Interference Robustness is checked and then try changing the channel in AirPort Admin Utility to something else. I use Channel 1 but results can vary depending on what else is being used. It might be worthwhile downloading the AirPort Radar widget (10.4 and later) to see what channels are already being used, if any. Hopefully this'll work but if not, we can try some other stuff. :)

10. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

i've checked interference robustness a number of times in the past both here and on my wife's ibook, and always seemingly without benefit. still, i've just checked it again, since you never know. still have the stuttering though. would like to quit everything and start fresh, but am charging my shuffle, and hate to interrupt that process.

am curious what airport radar widget would give me that i don't have with the airtraffic control widget? thanks

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I just mentioned that widget because it shows what channels are being used. However, Airtraffic Control probably does this too. I don't use it so I'm not sure. :eek: