Radiohead and Animatrix Synchronization

Discussion in 'Community' started by kb9000, Jun 16, 2003.

1. kb9000 macrumors member

I recently saw several Animatrix shorts synched with the Radiohead album Hail to the Thief. "Matriculated" synchs with the songs "The Gloaming" and "There There" (played consecutively) if they are begun when the robot goes into the matrix. Also, you can begin track one with the beginning of "Second Renaissance Part 1". There are other combinations that work in addition to these.

2. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Yeah, i tried that and it sounds pretty good, 2+2=5 sounds good with "The second revolution Part 1". And for future reference, its "the gloaming" not "gloaming".

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

sounds like you guys need to post in my Hail to the Thief thread, heh.

i don't have the animatrix, unfortunately, though i like that one about Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon coinciding with Wizard of Oz. that one was funny.

by the way, what do you mean by syncs up? is the mood of the music the same, do things happen on beats or transitions, or what?

4. kb9000 thread starter macrumors member

e.g.

By sync I mean there are changes in the songs either by beat, mood, or other nuances that are reflected visually. Here is an example of something more specific: when the girl is playing the game with the ball against the robot (in Matriculated) there is a blip in the song that occurs when the ball bounces on the red glowing things.

5. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

i dunno, I reckon its not the uncanny. Have you tried listening to other music with animatrix on? A lot of music will seem to sync because it has music changes. I have noticed this in a lot of late night listening sessions. :D

6. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Hmmm.

This doesn't seem too surprising. A lot of editors use temp tracks for their work until the final soundtrack is ready. Maybe "The gloaming" was used. However if the beats of the song are similar enough you'll still probably get a good effect synching the two.

7. kb9000 thread starter macrumors member

When these animations were edited I doubt they had access to the final studio version of the Gloaming (released June 10, 03). Even the leaked "Hail To The Thief" that was out around April (I think?) would be too late for the video editors.

It is more likely (other than coincidence) that Radiohead had access to the Animatrix before it was out on DVD (like many did).

They mentioned the synchronization thing on MTV a while ago but did not say what went with what.

8. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

you know, it's also possible it's a coincidence, don't you think? i am pretty sure that the gloaming is a song radiohead has demoed at concerts as much as or more than a year ago. these songs didn't just materialize in the last few months, and radiohead doesn't strike me as a band that would bother trying to make weird "coincidences" like that.

also, i myself had access to the final studio version of the gloaming in may of '03, and it sounds spot on the same as the prerelease version i got in early march. so......

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's a coincidence. The two projects were in no way related.

10. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

like "Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wizard of Oz," like i said :D

11. kb9000 thread starter macrumors member

Yup.