1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

RadioShack Offering iPhone 4 for $150, $25 With 3GS Trade-In

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Late last week, RadioShack announced temporary discounts on the iPhone, knocking $50 off the price of the all three models: 8 GB iPhone 3GS and 16 GB and 32 GB iPhone 4. The deal, which runs through December 11th, brings the price of the 16 GB iPhone 4 to $149.99 and the 32 GB model to $249.99 for new and upgrade-eligible customers.

[​IMG]

On top of the discounted prices, RadioShack also offers guaranteed trade-in prices for iPhone 3G and 3GS handsets, provided that the devices are in good working in order with no damage. RadioShack offers $75 for iPhone 3G models and $125 for iPhone 3GS models, meaning that current iPhone 3GS owners can now trade up to a 16 GB iPhone 4 for only $24.99.

Article Link: RadioShack Offering iPhone 4 for $150, $25 With 3GS Trade-In

2. macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

That's a remarkable deal. The only problem is I still can't get one of my old 2Gs off my hands. :p

3. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

2G? Just keep it. It will become a 'classic' in a few years. A great piece of conversation and even a slim paperweight.

I'm also wondering if they are only offering the 8GB for a low price and not the higher capacity models (?).

4. macrumors member

redcupr

Very nice, looks like I'll finally upgrade from my 3G to an iPhone 4 for $75. :)

I just need to find a store that has some...

5. macrumors newbie

There's a tax!!

You can upgrade, if eligible through AT&T, by trading in your current 3Gs iPhone for a new iPhone 4 for only $25 (after all the discounts)! But, they also add tax. Not the sales tax of the $25 discounted iPhone, but the sales tax of the iPhone's retail price, which is $599. That's $58.40 (9.75% in my area). So the bottom line is that, if you're eligible, you can get the 16GB iPhone 4, by trading in your 3Gs (in good condition), with a new two-year contract, for about $83. Still a pretty good deal. Just wish some of these news reports would mention this tax of the retail price they're including. It's good to know the WHOLE truth on so-called "good deals".

6. macrumors member

Old Upgrade

About 4 months ago the upgrade deal was trading up from 3GS to iPhone4 would cost you only $16. This seems like their promoting a worse deal because people didnt hear about the original amazing deal....Way to go RadioHACK.

7. macrumors member

redcupr

Fortunately here is Washington State we only get charged sales tax (9.5%) on the difference (doesn't matter what the retail price is). One of the few benefits to our tax system here.

8. macrumors 68020

spencers

Only in California...

9. macrumors 6502

And rhode island...

10. macrumors member

Just to clarify, do you have to sign a new contract? Mine ends in June so I'd rather wait for the new one and switch off AT&T than sign a new deal now.

11. macrumors 6502a

Unsurprising on the trade-in deal -- considering I was able to sell my 32GB launch-day 3GS on eBay with a $350 BIN in under 2 hours... 2 months after the iPhone 4s release. Not an out-of-country sale either. Sold to a guy in California that bought it for his girlfriend. No idea if he had intended to unlock it or jailbreak it, but looking at completed listings shows that this was a fairly common price point at the time.

$125 is selling yourself short. It still has to be trivial to get $200 for the thing on eBay. $300 I'm assuming is still cake.

12. macrumors 68000

1080p

Lets see...

$125 credit for trading in a 3GS at Radio Shack or sell it on craigslist for $350.

Hmm... tough decision.

13. Guest

Surely

I sold my 32GB locked 3GS at the end of July on Craigslist for $400.

I'm sure that close to $300 is still possible for a 3GS.......

I guess that the Radioshack deal is a good one if you don't care how much you get but just want to get something, and if you don't have the time to deal on Craigslist or eBay.

14. macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

You'd have to be mental to sell your iPhone (either 3G or (S) ) to Radioshack. Craigslist will easily net you twice what RS are offering. Put up a listing and you'll get offers flowing in within 10 minutes.

15. pmz
    macrumors 68000

All of you whining about this deal being "crazy" completely miss the fact that this is a "any-consumer-walk-in" deal, that gets you from old gen to new gen for $25 in about 15 minutes. (Not even Apple provides such a service, which they 100% absolutely should)

Selling on CL or Ebay is completely different from this, considering the excessive delays of funds tranfers, shipping, etc. not even to mention the choice between not having a phone for a while, or having to pay full price out of pocket way in advance.

16. macrumors 6502

My upgrade date isn't until early March, and I've been a customer since the "AT&T Blue" days (2003ish). I really wanted to take advantage of this deal, but it seems nobody at AT&T wants to assist me in getting my upgrade date pushed up...

They won't even send me to the retentions department when I threaten to cancel (and point out that it's actually cheaper for me to do that & buy the discounted phone than it is to pay their "early upgrade" pricing).

Anybody have any ideas?

17. macrumors newbie

I was told by a Radio Shack person over the phone that you have to buy apple care to get this deal which is $50. So the discount is really not a discount. Have others had the same experience? Isn't that kind of bate and switch?

18. macrumors 65816

THE JUICEMAN

ALMOST jumped on this deal and sold my iPhone 3G and Evo 4G on ebay. But then I remembered how bad AT&T sucks in my house and thought better to just wait for the mythical Verizon iPhone. January 6th can't come soon enough. They better announce it....dammit. :cool:

19. macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I had a similar problem with AT&T a few years ago. They must get a lot of people bluffing about quitting. But after they refused to give me a better deal (I'd been a customer for a couple of years, my contract was up, the renewal offer they wanted me to take was crappy compared to offers available to new users) I actually quit. No bluff. So guess what happens a few weeks later? An AT&T retention rep calls me up and offers me like 3 different options if I'll come back to AT&T - all much better deals than I was originally asking for. The problem was that by then I'd already switched to T-Mobile. T-Mobile customer service was much better, but after a couple years I had to go back to AT&T because I wanted a new iPhone :)

Once AT&T loses their lock on iPhones, I bet they'll step up their retention efforts. But regardless, the best way to force a deal from a phone company is to actually quit the company, so they know you're serious; just be prepared to be without a phone for a few weeks if you really want to force the best deal out of them.

Personally, although I'll be eligible for an upgrade soon, I'm just going to wait till next summer, so I can upgrade to the iPhone 5. Plus, by then we might have more carrier options too, and AT&T might be offering some great deals to keep us from going to the Verizon iPhone.

20. macrumors G3

charlituna

yes. If you want the cheap prices, which are based on you qualifying for the $199 price, signing a new contract etc

21. macrumors newbie

i don't think anyone has brought up the fact that it's "as much as" pricing. unless your phone is in pristine condition you'll never see the full turn in pricing. don't be fooled. my wife talked to a local shop that gave someone $7 for theirs. good luck getting the full $150.

22. macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

RadioShack Offering the 4 for $25.00

Not sure if this has been covered already, but with trade-in of a 3GS and a new contract you can get a iPhone 4 for $25.00 Not a bad deal.

Quote from Yahoo:

"First, you'll obviously need to sign up for a new or renewed contract, and as with most carriers, current AT&T customers are only eligible for a phone upgrade every two years. Second, you'll need to trade in your old iPhone to get store credit on the phone. For an iPhone 3GS in good condition you'll get $125 in credit; for the standard iPhone 3G, you'll get $75.

When this trade-in deal is combined with the $50 RadioShack is taking off all current iPhone models for this week only, it's possible to get the 16GB iPhone 4 for $25. If you want the 32GB model, normally priced at $299, you can get it for $125 with the trade-in."

23. macrumors 68040

Good deal for people who don't want t hassle with reselling on craigslist.

However u can easily get $250 for used 16gb 3GS. An $300-350 for used 32GB 3GS without any hassle of all

Of course their are guys trying to sell 16gb 3GS used for $350 on craigslist but unless they have warranty, you can get better prices as a buyer.

24. macrumors regular

Anyone know if they will they do 'add-a line' as well or do I have to go to an AT&T store for that?

25. macrumors 68040

djransom

They will add a line as well.