Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M-Idiot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Hello, have a Q regarding Raid-5 rebuild times.
I have a Lacie 4Big 12T running in Raid 5. Recently the powersupply broke down, forcing the harddisk to shut down abruptly. Now that i replaced the powersupply, the Raid will not boot but its apparently rebuilding the Raid (According to the manual that is. There is no indication of a failed drive, its just rebuilding the Raid). Its doing this for 4 subsequent days now. I have no access to any of the drives, the raid does NOT show up in finder.
Is this normal behaviour? does it more than 4 days to rebuild a 4 x 3 TB Raid 5? Thank you for your advice,
M-Idiot.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
That seems like a long time. I would let it go for a few more days... but be ready to just reformat the array and restore from backup... assuming of course that you have been backing up.

/Jim

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Why would you not contact Lacie about this? When data is concerned you should handle it as expeditiously and directly as possible. Contact Lacie.

Last edited:

LaCieTech

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Hello, have a Q regarding Raid-5 rebuild times.
I have a Lacie 4Big 12T running in Raid 5. Recently the powersupply broke down, forcing the harddisk to shut down abruptly. Now that i replaced the powersupply, the Raid will not boot but its apparently rebuilding the Raid (According to the manual that is. There is no indication of a failed drive, its just rebuilding the Raid). Its doing this for 4 subsequent days now. I have no access to any of the drives, the raid does NOT show up in finder.
Is this normal behaviour? does it more than 4 days to rebuild a 4 x 3 TB Raid 5? Thank you for your advice,
M-Idiot.

Hi,

I recommend you call us ASAP if the device has not returned to a working status. The rebuild time is usually not that long but it can be if the RAID was nearly full - especially 12TB. Hardware rebuilds scan each sector of each drive and rebuild from the parity on a RAID 5 and with that large of a unit it might take several days. Still, I would call us and start thinking about a backup solution - RAID is not a replacement for proper backups.

503.844.4500 / http://www.lacie.com/mystuff

~mn, LaCie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.