RAID in PowerMac G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by d88co88, Dec 20, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

d88co88

Hi, I have a PowerMac G4 I'd like to use as an "experimental" backup machine. I am looking to try and make a RAID setup in it, and I'm no expert with that. I'm wondering if this is even possible, first. I'm also wondering if I can do this with 2 40 gb drives and a 20 gb drive. I want to make it so it appears as 1 drive. I'd be using tiger and a software RAID if that is of any relevance. Thanks!

Specs:
    500 MHz PowerPC G4
    640 MB SDRAM
    No hard drives currently

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors 68040

666sheep

But remember: it's like RAID 0 - one of HDDs will die - your data is gone. It isn't reliable solution for backups. Especially if you use old, used HDDs (40 & 20GB aren't manufactured from some time AFAIK).

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

d88co88

Thanks for that link!

I know the risks, I just want to use it as an experimental backup. I already have a "real" backup.

5. macrumors regular

Keep us posted. I want to do a raid in my QS with two 1tb sata drives

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

d88co88

I will, I'm planning on doing it on Christmas. Will my power supply even support this many drives? Could it support another one with an ATA card or something?

7. macrumors regular

It should support 3 hard drives total. You can get aWay with 4 if you remove the optical drive. Anymore then that and you will be seriously taxing the ps. If it were me I would also remove the video card after I set it up and just remote login to it