RAID Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ralphjh, Sep 23, 2005.

1. ralphjh macrumors newbie

Is it possible and worthwhile to partition a 300 GB drive into two 150 GB partitions and stripe the partitions as a Type 0 RAID? Would such a setup result in faster data transfer than with an un-partitioned drive? (Of course, I would also be thinking of a separate backup drive).

2. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

No. The idea behind striping drives is to use different physical drives. Striping two partitions on a single drive is a waste of time and resources.

3. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

As far as my not-so-extensive-knowledge-of-RAIDs goes, this would be of no benefit. Striping is designed to be faster by using multiple HD's simultaneously... some dude thought "Hey, I've got 4 HD's, why not have them all reading and writing together?" and designed striping. If there's only one device and it's attempting to write to itself in two separate locations simultaneously, I think it would actually make it slower.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

4. ralphjh thread starter macrumors newbie

RAID Question

Thanks for the timely response. Let's try another tack. What about two hard drives, each containing two equal partitions. Could one stripe the first partition of each drive into a RAID 0 array? Would that result in increased data transfer rate?

The remaining partitions on each drive could be used for backup, either manually or by striping the second partition on each drive the same and combine the two sets as a RAID 1 setup for redundancy. The whole idea is to use 4 partitions instead of 4 drives to accomplish a RAID 0+1 setup at the expense of less total storage.

5. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Perhaps you should revisit the expansion of the acronym:

Redudnant Array of Independent Disks.

Raid 0+1 w/ anything less than 4 drives is a waste. You can stripe across two drives or you can mirror one drive to another, but configuring RAID to use two partitions on a single drive is just a waste of time and resources.

6. yenko macrumors 6502a

NO! :mad:

But two 300 Gig Drives would be terrific! :)

7. belvdr macrumors 601

Actually RAID 0+1 with less than 4 drives is impossible. You need two drives per RAID 0 and two RAID 0 volumes to mirror:

Physical Disk A + Physical Disk B = RAID 0 Volume 1
    Physical Disk C + Physical Disk D = RAID 0 Volume 2

then mirror RAID 0 Volumes 1 and 2.

EDIT: Ack.. I see you were talking about partitions.. :) I've never done a RAID with a partition.. Just a waste.. Like you said.. :)

8. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    What you're proposing basically removes the R from RAID. Either one of those disks goes down (mechanical), and you're screwed...IMHO

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

You could do a mirror(1) and partition it after it is mirrored, then you have double the read speed, and the same right speed.

10. ralphjh thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I get it! I'll stripe across 2 drives for speed and use a 3rd drive for backup.

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yes that would work just make sure you do backups often.