raid using an internal and external drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by excalibur313, Dec 23, 2005.

1. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

I have an g5 iMac with a 75gb hard drive and I just bought a 250gb external drive. Can I do a hardware or software raid 0 to get the increased performance or would the performance be minimal since it is only usb2? Even if it wouldn't offer too much of a boost I think I would still want to do it because it would make things easier than having to deal with two separate hard drives. How can I do this and will I have to format my internal drive? I have panther.
    Thanks,
    Stephen

EDIT: After looking around it seems like that striping two drives of different sizes is a bad idea because the total hard drive would only be 150gb and the extra 175gb would be wasted on the external. Is this true and if it is can I do a jabod setup (just a bunch of disks?) or is that more of a windows thing?

One more thing: The main reason why I'm doing this is to have a place to store my photos, videos, and music. Is there an easy way to do this so I can still look at them with iphoto, itunes etc? Said differently, can I specify the path that the program looks to find this stuff?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You could do a RAID, but it won't improve your performance much, if at all, an may make it worse, USB is a bad interface for mass storage in the first place, and your risk of catastrophic failure is magnificently higher with a RAID 0.

You would have to format both drives, therefore lose all data.

If you think that having to deal with two separate drives is a hassle, then you do NOT want to take on a RAID system.

Seriously; it was an original idea, credit for thinking of it.
    But it is not practical, best to abandon this approach.

Go have some egg nog.
    Cheers!

3. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

What do you think the best way of doing the last thing I mentioned is? Is there some way, maybe through shortcut references, to move stuff to the external drive?