Raikkonen and Ferrari

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Mar 2, 2006.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Increasingly looking like he's coming to take on Schumacher. :eek: :D

The 2 best drivers head to head in the same team... Senna Vs Prost all over again... :cool:

Rinky dink link

and

Pinky dink link

Also Jean Todt, Ross Brawn & Paolo Martinelli have all just recently extended their contracts for another 3 years as well.... so fingers crossed Schu will do the same.

Schumacher Vs Raikkonen.... sweet dreams are made of these™ :D

Thoughts?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

...who am Iiiii to disagreeee :D

Should be good, hope it comes off. I must admit I didn't give F1 much time this last season, wish they'd stop making up and changing stupid rules :mad:

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Kimi v.s. Michael as teammates would do more for the sport than all the silly fiddling with the rules has done years, don't you think?

And poor Alonso will be thrashing about in a potentially uncompetitive McLaren...

EDIT: I can't wait till Bahrain...I think this will be a better season than last year, and I'm STILL amazed that Super Aguri is going to be able to get a couple cars on track, even if they are modified Arrows cars....talk about a short developmenmt period (and yees I know they'll be dog slow, but still)!!!!!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Agreed. How are the half-arsed fans like myself supposed to keep up. :(

5. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

At least we'll se some overtaking!:D Still don't like the chrome-mobile or the twins (aka Mclaren and BMW/ Williams) liveries. Or the Renault one fro that matter...:(

6. notchrisaitkin macrumors newbie

You forget, unlike McLaren, Ferrari doesn't let its drivers race each other.

7. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I just hope that this year nobody has a hissy fit about tires and turns the USA GP into a joke again. That was an absolute disaster, and who knows how much it shrunk the already tiny F1 fanbase in the US.

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, that's a given. I mean, the A23 was pretty slow by 2001 standards ;)

9. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

McLaren (and Renault for that matter) probably aren't the best examples of letting their drivers race... especially after '05. ;) :p

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think that F1 is too much of a business to allow a Senna/Prost teammate rivalry happen again. Too many smashed up cars. People complain about "team orders", but every team will do it if they think it wil help them win.

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

offtopic: and i hope they finally fixed the track again at least to german autobahn standards ;)

ontopic: with a impulsive driver like raikkonnen and a rather cool headed guy liek schuhmacher we can expect a quite fun season 2007 at ferrari ;)

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The track wasn't the problem.

13. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

Would if it were true.:p

I suspect that he is going to get a big pot of money to play second fiddle in
    M$'s one man band for a year of so.;)

As a Mclaren fan from the days of James Hunt and John Watson (ferrari hater from that time also). KR can take his inarticulate petulant mumbles and go kiss the blarney stone. Alonso has a much more mature racing brain in his head as will be shown over the next few years.

In fact I hope they get shot of Montoya at the same time and put Anthony Davidson or Lewis Hamilton in the second seat.

14. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

So what were they supposed to do go with the Ferrari/FIA plan of driving through the pits every lap, would that have made for a better event :rolleyes: . Or just not bother taking Michelins advice and simply kill somebody in lawsuit friendly US of A :p .

As far as I am concerned the artificial clockwise half Indy via the Golf course would not be missed if it was dropped from the calendar.:mad:

15. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Bring tyres that were actually safe. :p

16. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

Well if you recall back to Interlagos Brazil in 2003. That was the year when we had the cost cutting experiement with only one type of wet tyre. Well Bridgestone took a gamble in bringing only a light intermediates to that event.

Well there was basically a tropical storm and rivers down the track.

So were Bridgestone hauled over the coals over that er um NO ..... everything was done to accomodate Bridgestone and Ferrari and we had the race and the first 10 laps behind a safety car.

F1 is no different than any job any of us do these days safety is the number 1 consideration and everything else takes second place.

17. FireArse macrumors 6502a

:(

Those were the days.

They had proper slicks, proper (and nailbiting!) qualifying sessions, great drivers AND no traction control!

18. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

Too true apart from one thing its more the massive amounts of grip over horsepower that is modern F1's problem (which will get much worse this year).

Most people dont really understand about Traction Control in a racing car is not the same as in a road car its just a tool to allow the driver to apply the power for a longer period of time during the lap. I recall that banning it then unbanning it produced little difference in the standard of racing.

Its still perfectly possible to lock the rear wheels in a modern F1 car with an ill judged change .

A completly mechnical throttle linkage and gear shift might make a difference but no engine maker will go for that

19. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Which was Michelin's suggestion in the first place if I recall correctly. ;) :rolleyes:

I also seem to recall that both Bridgestone and Michelin only bought intermediates to Interlagos.

You'd think... though Michelin were warned on at least 2 occasions previous regarding the durability, suitability and safety of their tyres... after the Nurburgring, and Spa and Indy the previous season.

Thankfully Michelin are pulling out... which is the best thing to happen to F1 in a long, long time if you ask me.

20. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

So do you think its good for the credibilty of the sport that Bridgestone are simply being handed the contact rather than it being put out to tender or a series of closed bids.

Anyways F1 will be a joke by 2008 anyway

21. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Nope... it's well documented on this site who I'd like to see return to F1. :D

However... I can understand why though. Could another tyre manufacturer design, test and manufacture a safe, competitive F1 by 2007? It'd be risky.

I'm just glad the tyre war era is coming to a close, worst thing to happen to F1 in a long, long time IMHO.

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

half offtopic:
    i just read an interview with Klien which was titled "It doesn't look that rosy"
    to sum it up they have some serious reliability issues and problems with the clutch and the Ferrari engine

"Ferrari has the same problems as we do. Or better: We have the same Problems as Ferrari"
    "We don't really expect anything for the first 3 races"

23. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I've read that Ferrari haven't got any particular problems with the engine, and that the reason Red Bull have is because Ferrari supplied incorrect cooling figures for the new V8, hence Red Bull's overheating problems are the result of them designing the car with duff information. :p

The clutch could be an issue though... Brawn's admitted that. :(

It's also interesting to read that the Red Bull Chief Monkey, thinks that the Red Bull B Team will probably be more competitive than the A Team for the early part of the season. :eek: :p

Hopefully none of the top teams will have any reliability issues, it's looking like a really competitive season otherwise. :D

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

they are using tuned down V10 of last year and thus are more likely to finish.. after all it's gonna be reliability racing in the first races

and yeah red bull got already the new cooling design working but it seems they are still having problem .. at least they say so

i'm pretty sure we'll see plenty of destroyed engines this year

25. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Boy, that would be great if Scott Speed got a podium in the first race due to lots of retirements, kind of like Jordan's "win" a couple years ago, after around half the cars crashed out or broke down.