Raikkonen offered 5-year Ferrari deal?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Sep 25, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

All good so far... :D

Except this bit...

Ridculous. :eek:

Rumours also suggest that they've offered $73 million at Rossi to make the switch too. :eek:

Rinky dink link

2. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I thought they were getting Alonso to replace Ruben?

3. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Massa's replacing Rubens for 2006.

1 year contract only though, depends on whether Schumacher decides to continue or not.

We might see a Schumacher and Rossi, Schumacher and Raikkonen or even Raikkonen and Rossi line up at the Scuderia come the 2007 season.

All have a ring to them though don't they... :D

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I doubt Raikkonen would sign with Ferrari being off the pace as they are now - but if they are fast next season I could see him possibly jumping ship.

Kimi and McLaren have a great shot at both Championships next season, so if they are successful why would he leave for Ferrari other than the cash?

5. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

¡¡¡Campeón!!!

Raik... what? today is Alonso's day!
    [​IMG]

6. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Currently Mclaren is the best package by far, if he gets decent renumeration from mclaren why?, would be a killer team though (190 Million = faints)

7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I don't understand this at all, but why does that guy look so angry?

[​IMG]
    When I saw that pic, that's the first thing that came to mind...

Hooray, cars, go team, etc.

/I'll go back to the kitchen now.

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Your enthusiasm overpowers me. :D

You have to remember that Alonso is a Spaniard, i.e. the Latin temperment...

9. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Oh, yes ! I have an angry Spanish friend! She is very angry all the time!

OK, not really.

**I mean, I have a spanish friend, but she isn't angry. she exists, though. F'reals.

10. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

He could have politely thanked his family, thanked God and bless America, but in Europe people would laugh at him for that.

I don't know if it is a Spanish thing, I think anybody winning the F1 title at 24 would scream in join...I would...but I am Spanish :p

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't really care about Kimi and I'm not a Ferrari fan. I just wanna see Rossi in a competitive car. I think he could do a lot to make this sport fun again.

12. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Alonso will never be a ferrari driver as far as i'm concern...the ferrari fans hate alonso...

13. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Anything NOT NASCAR is fun!

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I wish I was better with Photoshop, because I thought of a damn funny picture to go with that comment.

As for Fernie, congrats. Funny though, every claim(ed/s) that Schumi made F1 boring, yet I've only watched one race since the USGP... (and Schumi almost won that one ;))

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Anything on dirt is fun too ;)

800HP, big-ass right rear tires and huge wings on the roof. Nothing like power oversteer :D

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Apparently you've never seen the lawnmower races they show on the Speed Channel occasionally... :rolleyes:

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

18. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

it's a shame mclaren dropped the ball on the three early races :(

19. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Thing is, it's known why they're off the pace this year... (tyres, late rule changes last season, halted development on this years car several races ago to focus on '06) I wouldn't expect Ferrari to make the same mistakes next season though.

They had a great shot at winning this season considering they've had the quickest race car since Malaysia. Only occasional reliability problems, numerous mistakes by Kimi and a formidably consistent opponent have really lost them the Championship this season.

I wouldn't rule out Montoya for the Championship next season though, when you sit down and think about it... Montoya's had the edge on Kimi over the last 3 races, and had team orders not kicked in, in Spa he would've had 3 in row. I guess it depends on next seasons McLaren, if the car is more edgy and less biased towards understeer then I reckon Montoya could be worth a punt for the 2006 championship.

and

Why would he want to leave McLaren? well Ferrari are still essential exactly the same team that have won the last 6 constructors titles and last 5 drivers titles... their fall from grace this season is attributed to the extensive and unfair rule changes that were bought in at the end of last season.

I do think it's unfair to blame McLaren totally for those... Kimi made a mistake at the start of the Aus GP causing him to start from the pitlane, it was a tyre valve failure in Malaysia, and Kimi was just off the pace of his teammate in Bahrain. With the exception of Australia... McLaren had the fastest race car in those races.

That said, dodgy reliability has affected Kimi on several occasions and as such his championship attack has suffered because of that, but you have to admit... he's made a lot of mistakes that have cost him points, and has benefited on 2 occasions where by a suspect team call (Canada) and blatant teamorders (Spa) have given/gifted him 2 wins.

I still look forward to him coming to the Scuderia though... ;) :D

20. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

yes and no.

if you think about it, when you're 20ish points behind, you absolutely must drive it to the limit if you want to catch up, and you just cannot take it to the limit all the time without any problems. so yes, i do think that it was stupid of him to for example damage his tyre in nurburgring, but he had to win that and then you just drive as fast as you can having the worst "enemy" behind you. or the brazilian qualifying mistake, that was just a perfect example of what happens when you have nothing to lose but still have got to try. or the spinning during the last few laps in italy. renault had the luxury of playing it a bit safer, and it paid off. it is true that you don't win titles at the beginning of the season, but on the other hand, you can put yourself into such a situation at the early races that the later races become too difficult, and that's where mclaren was after the first two races. and montoya's injuries certainly didn't help the situation.

what happened at australia, well, nobody knows why it went that way. renaults really nailed it in the unexpected weather conditions and mclaren was beaten pants down. it was just unbelieveable how embarassed they were after the weekend, or at least the press was very good at manipulating the image :) anyway, after that, mclaren just decided to take the car to the limit, which in hindsight was a terrible mistake given the current points regulations. take imola and hockenheim for example, had it not been two retirements from the lead, raikkonen would SUPPOSEDLY (yes, i know, points are given after the race) have 20 points more while alonso would've got 4 less -- and the points difference is currently only 23, so without those two retirements kimi would lead by one point and the championship battle would have been decided on the last lap of the last race.

granted, it's all speculation, but you've got to admit -- this one is very valid, as alonso's renault has 3 non-finishes and kimi's mclaren has 5. call me biased if you like, but in my book the reason why alonso has now secured the title is because mclaren failed to finish in san marino and germany.

21. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I don't think you're bias on this, without a doubt McLaren's unreliabilty has screwed Kimi over, made things far easier for Alonso, and we'd be going down to a China showdown if he'd not been shafted as often.

I do think that Alonso is a worthy champion in that he's driven with great maturity this season, playing the percentage game when needed, making few mistakes and benefitting from a lot of luck (e.g. why the hell has it always been Fisi that had the reliability issues?).

But... I just don't think he's as good as either Schumacher or Raikkonen.

22. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

he needs to be credited that he managed to pull the trick kimi failed to achieve in 2003 -- and that was also a year when mercedes failed kimi in germany !! in fact, the 2003 nurburgring saw two individual incidents that screwed kimi, as if either kimi's engine had not failed or schumi's ferrari hadn't been pushed back to the race (which was imho against the rules), then kimi would have been 2003 champion. in other words, it looks like mercedes tries little too hard in germany.

i agree. but on the other hand i do believe alonso is just as lucky as schumacher, and that kimi is just as misfortunate as mika back in the day. i hope and believe kimi will win several championships in the future, but it's just so sad that two good opportunities have been lost due to reliability problems (which is bad luck and bad engineering, something that kimi has and schumi+alonso lack.)

we have new legends now as i suspect kimi vs. alonso battles will be just as good as mika vs. schumi, if only their teams manage to be closely matched in the future. now it looks a lot like the 1997 season which was the last with slicks (now is the last with v10 engines) and when mclaren was terribly unreliable. i'm just hoping mclaren nails the new regulations next year from the beginning of the season.

23. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I agree, and hope you're right.

Montoya is my favorite driver, so I'll certainly go along with that. I'm going to hazard the opinion that Montoya can be as fast as Raikkonen and Schuey but is less consistent. But I think he's the third fastest driver on the grid. I'm curious as to how McLaren's drivers will (or won't) work together next year, especially if both start trading victories back and forth. Could be quite a rivalry.

He seems to have every good quality a top driver should have, but he does seem slightly off the pace of Schuey, Raikkonen and JPM on a good day :) .

The thing is, after this season's performance he has proven himself worthy of top drives so as long as he chooses the right employers (if Renault ever ceases to be competetive) he will keep winning races.

But driver-wise F1 is currently crowded with current and potential champions; Schuey, Kimi, JPM and Alonso are all clearly capable of winning the WDC - It's really down to the cars and politics to decide which of these four will win in '06.

24. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

actually, JPM will never be a world champion. that is, unless they change the points system to reward the victory a little more. the man cannot finish second (pun intended) and seriously lacks consistency -- he will keep winning races though, he has his days.

i think it is only kimi, schumi and alonso of the current drivers who can offer solid top performance every day. the current points system has shown that one must be able to repeat success every race through the season, and JPM has shown he cannot do that.

25. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I agree that lack of consistency is JPM's biggest issue, but it is easier to become consistent when you are fast than the other way around.

I still think that he has what it takes - even though Raikkonen and Schumi are better. Alonso is a little slower than those two but more consistent. All four are championship material, but I'll admit it will be very difficult for JPM to win as long as he has to face the other three (although in a McLaren that could happen, given the present state of things).