Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Feral Interactive today released Sid Meier's Railroads! on the Mac. The game is the most recent release in the much beloved Railroad Tycoon series, the first of which was released in 1990. Railroads was originally released for the PC in 2006, but this is its first appearance on the Mac.

NewImage1.png
Build a railroad empire and shape a nation!

Lay track, route trains and watch the world come to life in this compelling mix of train set and business simulator. Become the ultimate railroad robber baron with the drive to shape a nation, build an empire and amass a fortune.

Spanning the history of the railroads from the steam engines of the 1830s to the bullet trains of today, Sid Meier's Railroads! for Mac is a bold re-imagining of the legendary Railroad Tycoon (1990), the game that launched the "tycoon" genre.
The game has very generous system requirements, asking for at least a 1.8GHz Intel processor running OS X 10.6.8, 3GB of RAM, and a 128MB graphics card. Sid Meier's Railroads! is available for $30 from Feral's online store, and will soon be available on the Mac App Store as well.

Article Link: Railroad Tycoon Sequel 'Sid Meier's Railroads!' Comes to Mac

DavidNielsen

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
I have been looking forward to this one, but I recently discovered another great Train game in the making which is much in the vein of Transport Tycoon Deluxe called Train Fever. That one looks even nicer to me, but that might just be me.

http://www.train-fever.com/

erzeszut

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
Anyone know if this is an EXACT port of the '06 Windows version? I already have that one via Steam on my Mac, running in Parallels.

If there's ANYTHING additional in the Mac version, I'll probably buy again. Did they throw us a bone -- an additional map, anything?? :D

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
With modest requirements, I hope it can run in a native Retina resolution. These crisp graphics, in that resolution. Oh my.

cpatterson1177

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
This upsets me

This is one of the best games of all time and I'm a little upset at this I'm upset because the original version only worked on Windows XP. They never released an official update to make it so that it works on other versions of Windows, and now they release a full version of this great game for Mac.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
When is "soon" on the Mac App Store, and what will that price be? And is this on the iPad???

mrfrosty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
I loved this series but this version (on the PC at least) was the biggest piece of crap ever because of constant crashing out when things got busy ! Other than that the game was awesome.

Sep 17, 2007
Is 3 gig of RAM for a six year old game really considered a modest system requirement?

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I understand this is a mac fan site but is $30 not a little steep for a 6 year old game? Look at what it would get you in a Steam sale :)

DraziGuy

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
I wonder if they fixed the bugs. It was the most unstable game I ever played. Had to remember to save every couple of minutes because of the extraordinary number of fatal errors. I don't know if I ever played it for more than an hour solid without seeing the desktop. Made it not so fun to play, even though the gameplay itself was alright.

iforbes

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
$30 for a six year old game?!? Maybe $5...maybe even $5.99, but you can forget getting my $30.

shameful....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.