1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Railroad Tycoon Sequel 'Sid Meier's Railroads!' Comes to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 1, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Feral Interactive today released Sid Meier's Railroads! on the Mac. The game is the most recent release in the much beloved Railroad Tycoon series, the first of which was released in 1990. Railroads was originally released for the PC in 2006, but this is its first appearance on the Mac.

[​IMG]
    The game has very generous system requirements, asking for at least a 1.8GHz Intel processor running OS X 10.6.8, 3GB of RAM, and a 128MB graphics card. Sid Meier's Railroads! is available for $30 from Feral's online store, and will soon be available on the Mac App Store as well.

Article Link: Railroad Tycoon Sequel 'Sid Meier's Railroads!' Comes to Mac

2. macrumors regular

tobyw7

This is great news - loved this series! :)

3. macrumors regular

iwan073

Sweet!

4. macrumors demi-god

SandboxGeneral

I think I may buy this one as a hold-me-over until SimCity comes out in February. :D

5. macrumors newbie

I have been looking forward to this one, but I recently discovered another great Train game in the making which is much in the vein of Transport Tycoon Deluxe called Train Fever. That one looks even nicer to me, but that might just be me.

http://www.train-fever.com/

6. macrumors regular

Anyone know if this is an EXACT port of the '06 Windows version? I already have that one via Steam on my Mac, running in Parallels.

If there's ANYTHING additional in the Mac version, I'll probably buy again. Did they throw us a bone -- an additional map, anything?? :D

7. macrumors 6502a

Northgrove

With modest requirements, I hope it can run in a native Retina resolution. These crisp graphics, in that resolution. Oh my.

8. macrumors newbie

This upsets me

This is one of the best games of all time and I'm a little upset at this I'm upset because the original version only worked on Windows XP. They never released an official update to make it so that it works on other versions of Windows, and now they release a full version of this great game for Mac.

9. macrumors 6502

I'd prefer the trailer showed some actual gameplay instead of an animation of some guy.

10. macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

Really don't understand trailers that show zero gameplay.

11. macrumors 68020

When is "soon" on the Mac App Store, and what will that price be? And is this on the iPad???

12. Contributing Editor

jlgolson

When Apple approves it, and no it's Mac only.

13. macrumors 6502a

Yeah that was a lousy trailer.

14. macrumors 6502

I loved this series but this version (on the PC at least) was the biggest piece of crap ever because of constant crashing out when things got busy ! Other than that the game was awesome.

15. macrumors newbie

Agree. Doing the same here.

16. macrumors demi-god

SandboxGeneral

I've never played the game before, but it looks neat and fun.

17. macrumors 603

Stella

Try OpenTTD, its pretty good:
    http://www.openttd.org

Looks exactly like the original TTD.

18. Guest

Is 3 gig of RAM for a six year old game really considered a modest system requirement?

19. macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I understand this is a mac fan site but is $30 not a little steep for a 6 year old game? Look at what it would get you in a Steam sale :)

20. macrumors regular

dagger55

Has anyone confirmed if this title supports the Retina MBP?

21. macrumors member

I wonder if they fixed the bugs. It was the most unstable game I ever played. Had to remember to save every couple of minutes because of the extraordinary number of fatal errors. I don't know if I ever played it for more than an hour solid without seeing the desktop. Made it not so fun to play, even though the gameplay itself was alright.

22. macrumors 6502

$30 for a six year old game?!? Maybe $5...maybe even $5.99, but you can forget getting my $30.

shameful....

23. macrumors 6502a

coder12

I still have my copy of Railroad Tycoon for DOS :)

Still a great game.

24. macrumors newbie

Any of the Railroad Tycoon games are a must own in my opinion.

25. macrumors 68000

steve-p

Sounds like a plan :) Too busy with Forza Horizon at the moment though lol