Rainbow Six 3 and Mad Choppy

Discussion in 'Games' started by zuggerat, Jan 28, 2004.

1. zuggerat macrumors regular

I got rainbow six 3 raven shield for christmas and i was playing it on my powerbook and it doesnt seem to play well at all. Even when the settings are completely turned down as low as possible... IE one oddly colored square firing pegs at another oddly shaped square... It's still choppy as hell. I dont know what the hell is going on. My powerbook is practically brand new, i only got it in july. here's the specs...and the box specs...any advice would be great!

Ti Book
    running 10.3.2
    1ghz g4
    1 gb ram
    1mb L3 cache
    64 mb vram

The specs on the box are...
    os x 10.2.6 or later
    g3/g4/g5 733mhz +
    256 mb ram
    1.9 gb hd space
    32mb vram or better

..so ah whats the problem here?

2. zuggerat thread starter macrumors regular

ill try that thanx...

in ur opinion is my mac powerful enough to run the game?

3. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, I'm not a real Mac guru (not yet at least) but it seems pretty set to play the game well. Typically the Powerbook and Powermac lines are more powerful and thus better at playing games that the iMac, eMac, and iBook.

Good luck.

If all else fails, e-mail tech support for the game's publisher.

4. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

5. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

He has one gig in his powerbook, that should be OVER the amount necessary.

6. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Plays well on my 12" 1Ghz Powerbook. Not sure what the problem can be since your TiBook should be much better than my AlBook.
    I play it full res 1024x768, medium graphics settings (which looks nice), High team and terrorist detail.
    I know the FPS are not way high, but definately playable (and enjoyable).
    Here is a site that can help you do some tweaks, but remember you can mess things up if you type just one thing wrong:
    http://www.pingwhore.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1578

I would do ALL updates, disable disk journaling, run disk repair and permissions repair from the CD, then clean things up with Macjanitor. (search versiontracker.com to find it)

Don't leave any Apps open while you play and set you system preferences energy saver to "highest performance".

I hope some of these tips help...

7. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

The problem could be the the version of Mac OS you are using. You might need to wait until a new update comes out before you can play it properly.

Your Mac should be fast enough to play it, so I dont think you have any problems on the hardware front, its most likely just a software issue.

8. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

PowermacG5

ok heres the deal... Its kinda choppy on my system. Its a bad port in my opinion. And no there is nothing wrong with my machine just did a clean install yesterday... Yeah so the top of the line machine isnt that great. Wow?! Did that get any of you mac guys in the sweet spot.

(most of my complaints have to do with the 17 studio display (POS for gaming) I think) The game isnt running any stunning 80 frames a sec. so that would be the games fault.)

9. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

I dont't think you need 80fps to play R63. It's a slow tactical game, not a fragfest. If you get above 30fps it's smooth as silk.
    I get beetween 27-50 fps on my tower (specs below) at full res 16x12.
    I think the problem is that people expect these games to perform like Quake and Unreal and it's not going to happen. Once you have 4 or 6 characters running with you and a ton of AI(which is prettty good on R63) for the enemies, the FPS drop hard.
    I agree that it may be a less than perfect port, but of the games I play alot of it's the smoothest. (i.e. Ghost Recon, Halo, R63) :)

10. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

PowermacG5

what type of monitor do you have. LCD or CRT?

My studio display cant keep up

11. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

LCD. It's a Formac Gallery 2010 Platinum. They don't really label them this way any more, but here is basically the scoop:
    http://www.formac.com/p_bin/?cid=solutions_displays_gallery2010_01

The 15ms response time is probably the key. I get no ghosting I can perceive.
    Try to borrow a nice CRT from a friend and see how it does...

12. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

PowermacG5

i did....its way better looks better and no ghosting. Ghosting is the translucent bars that run horizontaly across the screen right?

Im a vido editing student in pittsburgh and thaught sell my studio display. and buy 2 crts