Rainbow Six: Raven Shield cpu reqs?

Discussion in 'Games' started by buddha, Jan 8, 2004.

1. buddha macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I know Aspyr says you need a 733 g3 with a 32 meg vid card to run this, but I was wondering how underpowered it would be at this point. I have a g4 1gig with a Radeon 8500, and I was wondering if it would be worth my time to buy this game or I should just keep to MoH and Rogue Spear.

Thanks,

Buddha

2. jeff.macaddict macrumors regular

If you can play rogue spear and MoH pretty well, then you shouldn't see too much of a graphical, oh say crappiness in raven shield.:D

On the highest detail settings, you might not be able to stand the jerkiness, but at med it should be okay. And unless your against illegal downloads, or don't have a good internet conn, then download it. It's great if it turns out that you can't play it, no financial loss:D

Do you play Halo? I've seen a name like yours there before.........

3. noelmac75 macrumors regular

4. buddha thread starter macrumors newbie

Not really against, but I try to buy games that I think are good; support the cause and all. So far I haven't been able to get a good copy d/led, and the frustration might just lead me to just buy the game.

Do you play Halo? I've seen a name like yours there before......... [/QUOTE]

Hrm, haven't played halo online yet, so wasn't me.

Buddha

5. jeff.macaddict macrumors regular

where? here!

discussions of warez is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN on this site!

6. deadpoet macrumors member

I've tried Raven Shield on my G3 iBook 800Mhz with 32MB Radeon 7500, and I have to say it runs like a complete dog. 8-12fps which is pretty much unplayable. And yes, that is with all settings to low, as low as possible. Sound low quality etc.

Buyer beware.

It runs like a dog on PCs already, and I wasn't surprised that the port to Mac didn't improve things any :eek:

7. buddha thread starter macrumors newbie

8. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

I find R6-3 runs really nice on my Powerbook 1Ghz, 32Mb Fx5200, 512MB. It plays better than Ghost Recon, and Halo. (Especially Halo).
    Raven Shield actually looks very good on this little machine and sustains a decent frame rate (above 25fps) running 1024x768.
    And unlike Halo, which is full of explosions and fire-fights, R6-3 is a slow low-action game. So if you get above 25fps, it tends to stay there.

BTW, it's very hard!

(Runs freaking beautiful on my tower.)

9. noelmac75 macrumors regular

10. Mantat macrumors 6502a

How to do think developpers are going to feel to port game to macs if idiots like you copy them?

Downloading games hurts us all and IS criminal.

11. noelmac75 macrumors regular

For a start Iam not copying them, I was just going to download it to see how it played first and then I would buy the game, it probably wouldnt work anyway, I have a very slow connection only a 56k modem so it would have taken weeks to download, Also I just bought two mac games recently halo and aliens vs predator 2, so i do support the cause, i love macs and I just wish they would bring out more games quicker so i would buy them. Anyway sorry if ive upset any of you

Thanks

12. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Sorry if I sounded aggresive. Its just that now that Black isle studio is closed and I will never see Fallout 3, I am VERY pissed of by warez.

I now buy every game / software I own and I am proud of it.

On the other hand, I know how you feel. I want to test Halo to see how it runs on my PB 12" revb but there is no demo availlable. So I will wait until its cheaper, wait for a demo or simply try to find a store that would let me open the box and test it in front of them...

Btw, have you seen Savage? its going to be ported to the mac soon and look awesome! Its funny because me and my friend were talking yesterday to make a startup to do exactly that kind of software thinking that no one thought about it... silly us...

13. buddha thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: warez

I personally do buy games that I find are worth it. I am too poor to pay 50 dollars on the *hope* that a game was actually ported well and is worth it. I also don't have friends who use macs and play games, so I can't even play on their computer to determine if something is worth it. If companies would provide demos, I wouldn't even d/l just to try a game out.

In essence, while what I do it technically criminally wrong, I don't feel great moral pangs for wanting to make sure I don't get screwed by horrible porting or gameplay.

Anyways, I just picked up a ps2, so from now on I can simply rent a game to check it out. Except World of Warcraft, which I fear shall cause me to fail out of school :D

Buddha

14. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I was afraid someone is saying that, I have a G3 900MHz iBook. Never played any games on it. Guess nothing is really running.

15. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

If you want to play Halo like it was meant to be played and enjoyed a RevB AlBook is not really the hardware to do it on. (but it will play it)
    I finally got it to run well (31.58fps, 30.25fps inside a Window which looks sharper, & 24.23 @ 1024x768) after several time demos- but it took alot of cutbacks on the graphics*.
    Halo also has an issue: even though the Time demo helps to gauge you performance, when you get into intense firefights with explosions it can come to a complete stop! This is not measured by the time demo.

*In graphix panel: Vertex Shaders only (turning off shaders completely was not a huge difference), FSAA off, Lens Flare Low, Model Detail Medium.
    In game settings: Sound Quality Normal, Sound variety High, 800x600, 0 refresh rate, No V Sync, No specular, No shadows, No decals, Particles Off, Texture Medium (1Ghz 12" Powerbook 512MB RAM)

16. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Frankly I'm quite dissapointed with Raven Shield.

Even with effects and settings turned way down on a Mac that exceeds every minimum I rarely ever get above 20 fps, usually its in the 5-10 range. For a game thats all about quick reaction thats unbearble.

Then you try playing it online. Man if you don't have a screaming machine you get hosed real quick. Players warp in front of you, and move before you can fire, even with low low low pings.

Not to mention the fact that it randomly freezes on a consistent basis.

I bought Raven Sheid because I have enjoyed all the previous games (I loved Ghost Recon) but now I wish I could just return it.

17. deadpoet macrumors member

why do you blame the demise of Black Isle Studio and Fallout 3 on warez?

A G3 iBook can still run quite a few games fairly well. Ghost Recon, Unreal Tournament (the original), Warcraft III, Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast, etc.

18. johnnowak macrumors 6502

I have a new 1.25ghz PB, and it runs AWESOME, almost max settings (no shadows).

19. AkiraK macrumors member

Two or three comments:

I buy everything I play, but I think many developers underestimate the sales impact of providing freely available demos. There have been numerous games that I would not have bought had I not had the opportunity to actually play them via an online demo (as well as a couple that I didn't buy after playing the demo, but I think the numbers skew towards the positive). Demos could also be used by developers as an important source of feedback, resulting in quicker patch releases and fewer disgruntled shoppers (I can't begin to tell you the number of people pissed off about NOLF2's cutscene glitch!).

Developers should also be more forthcoming about the *real* system requirements--consistently hitting 10 fps with everything on low doesn't qualify as playable. Some games actually have Minimum and Recommended sys req's. My advice? Ignore the minimum specs and take the recommended specs with a grain of salt. These games are often coded on latest and greatest hardware, then playtested on older machines using some of the most lenient criteria ever used ("It doesn't look very good and the framerate is crap, but it's still 'playable'.").

Raven Shield runs like crap on anything less than a 1GHz G4....and even then needs a pretty hefty videocard. My PowerBook runs it pretty well (and it screams on my PC, Buddha), so the requirements aren't *that* steep (Halo, on the other hand, ran like crap on my PC, a custom system less than six months old--Bungie was at least kind enough to acknowledge the problem with one of their recent patches).