Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vasilis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Dear all,
I am pleased to announce the release of Rainbow 1.1. Here is a brief description of this application:

The Rainbow application is a powerful tool to transfer (copy, move or even delete) data from one cloud service to another, in three simple steps:
1) Select the source service.
2) Select the files that you want to transfer, and
3) Select the target service.

Rainbow supports the following three cloud services:
- DropBox
- SkyDrive
- Sugar Sync

Rainbow is free of charge and you may download it from the AppStore

I am looking forward to your comments/ suggestions

Thank you

qubeofwar

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
Thanks! this is an awesome tool to manage the cloud. will you add other services too? like iCloud and Google Drive?

Vasilis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Thanks! this is an awesome tool to manage the cloud. will you add other services too? like iCloud and Google Drive?

I had support for iCloud (version 1.0), but Apple did not allow it, and I removed it.

I will certainly add support for Google Drive. I may not add it in version 1.2 (which is ready for submission), but I will add it in version 1.3.

Thank you

Vasilis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Dear all,
Rainbow version 1.2 is ready for download
New Features:

1) Local storage (off-line usage)
2) Open local doc, pdf and image files
3) Search for a certain file in all cloud services

No more wasting your time to find a file which lies inside a subfolder which lies inside a subfolder. The Rainbow application provides a search engine to instantly search for files or folders!!

More info with screenshots at Rainbow v1.2

Last edited:

sabahm

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
Hello Vasilis,

Awesome app dear! Is it only available on AppStore? Can't anyone use it on desktop or other smart phone? Just had a look at the screenshot and it look fabulous :) Hoping to get a version for android or desktop. Its a good induction to manage your storage accounts...

Vasilis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Hi sabahm,

Currently it is only available on iPhone (and soon on iPad). What kind of desktop do you have in mind? a Mac or PC?

Vasilis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
I am curious to have it on PC.

OK, I will do my best. Currently I am testing version 1.3, which will run on iPad.

I am thinking of developing a web version, so that it will run on all devices (pc, mac, android), but I do not know how user friendly this will be. Anyhow, one thing at a time... let me first release version 1.3 ;)

Vasilis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Dear all,
I am pleased to inform you that version 1.3 is ready for download.

New features:
- Runs natively on iPad (landscape mode)
- Supports the Box service
- Supports the Google Drive service

xdxdaustin

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Connecticut, United States
You should re-add iCloud functionality! It would be a major boon! If Apple doesn't allow it, then you should try having it available as an available plugin that you download from elsewhere, or as a version separate from the App Store.

Vasilis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
You should re-add iCloud functionality! It would be a major boon! If Apple doesn't allow it, then you should try having it available as an available plugin that you download from elsewhere, or as a version separate from the App Store.

I am sorry to say this, but Apple does not allow it!!

Would you consider having the iCloud service for viewing only purposes?

xdxdaustin

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Connecticut, United States
I am sorry to say this, but Apple does not allow it!!

Would you consider having the iCloud service for viewing only purposes?

Viewing only would be better than nothing! But wouldn't write capability be possible if installed from a third party? Apple has no say over that.

IE Build in the functionality via a plugin available from Cydia. Apple cannot penalize you for this.

Last edited:

Vasilis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Viewing only would be better than nothing! But wouldn't write capability be possible if installed from a third party? Apple has no say over that.

IE Build in the functionality via a plugin available from Cydia. Apple cannot penalize you for this.

It is in my plans to create a version were you could create and save files. I will start working on these features in version 1.5, because in version 1.4 I would like to support two more services....

Vasilis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Dear all, Rainbow version 1.4 is ready for download

Although I had promised to add support for two more services, I decided to offer the following features. I believe you will find them more useful:

1) When you view a file if its filetype is not recognized you can select it from a given list. You can make the above selection permanent
2) Create and edit text files (simple text editor)
3) Use the camera or the photo library to take pictures
4) Use the camera or the video library to record video

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Dear all, Rainbow version 1.4 is ready for download

Although I had promised to add support for two more services, I decided to offer the following features. I believe you will find them more useful:

1) When you view a file if its filetype is not recognized you can select it from a given list. You can make the above selection permanent
2) Create and edit text files (simple text editor)
3) Use the camera or the photo library to take pictures
4) Use the camera or the video library to record video

1) is good, but I'd rather have the additional services supported rather than the other three additions.

Vasilis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010

OK, I will add support for this cloud service. Still, version 1.5 will become available for download in January, because I need to add some other features to the application.

If there is any other cloud service that you would like Rainbow to support, please, do not hesitate to post it. I can not promise that I will add support for all cloud services, but I will certainly try to.

Vasilis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Rainbow version 1.5 is in review. Lets hope that Apple will finish this review soon..

Vasilis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Rainbow version 1.5 is available for download

New features:
- Add support for the Pogoplug service
- Passcode protect your data
- Create folders (The Google Drive service does not support this feature)
- Rename files (The Google Drive service does not support this feature)
- Button to remove ads

- Fix the bug when login in the SugarSync service

Vasilis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Rainbow version 1.6 is ready for download.

Here is a list of the new features:
- Compatible with iPhone 5
- Fully supports the Pogoplug cloud service
- Multi accounts (the SkyDrive cloud service does not support this feature
- Copy and delete folders (the Google Drive cloud service does not support this feature)
- Fixed the issue with the passcode keyboard
- Fixed a bug in the local filesystem

Vasilis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Rainbow version 1.6.1 is ready for download!

This version fixes the problem with the Pogoplug service on iPad

Vasilis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Rainbow - Mac version

This version supports the following 4 cloud services:
1) Google Drive
2) Pogoplug
3) Skydrive
4) Sugarsync

All the issues that you mentioned about the Google drive and Skydrive are fixed, and so is the issue that some users had with Pogoplug service.

More importantly, this version fully supports the Google drive, which means that you can rename file, copy folders and delete folders in your Google drive account.

Finally, the Mac version supports multi accounts through an in app purchase. The current price is $0.99

You can download it from iTunes link

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.