Raise your hand if you're dealing with the new SoBig@MM virus!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chisholm, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Chisholm macrumors regular

May 31, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I am! The University of Alabama started getting hit this morning. Started hitting my folks at 11:40 a.m.

As if the LovSan/Blaster virus wasn't bad enough.

I predict that a virus will strike within the year that will not only be destructive in a similar manner to the Iloveyou virus, but will be able to intelligently spread it's self like the LovSan virus did last week.:(

Thank goodness I get all my email via Mail.app on my beloved Apple!:p
  2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    I'm not personally dealing with it...but my boss got hooked into it today...

came back from production...had 60 emails to retrieve... :eek:

but he's on Mac of course...so it's nothing more than aggravation... ;)
  3. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
    is that some more pc crap? i've never got a mac virus (yet) and when i had a pc it run linux ..:p
  4. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    Still at a client's office now... I am here because of SoBig, but I cleared that up hours ago... Now I am taking the opportunity to patch the friggin server..... <sigh> If all of my clients were on Mac's I would be one poor son of a gun. :D Thank you Bill!!!
  5. peterjhill macrumors 65816

Apr 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    This virus can bother you if you don't run windows. It just needs someone stupid to open a .pif attachment running windows with you in their address-book. My office mate had over 50 emails.

How about the new blaster that instead of tftp'ing msblast.exe copies the patch and installs it. It patches the vulnerability. Unfortunately it is a bit aggressive with its scanning for machines. I saw a machine with 95000 flows per five minutes.

What has your university computing services department done to minimize the impact of the students coming back?
  6. zim macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    Mac's only here, but if I get one more email from comcast regarding how to protect my computer.... grrr... I already contacted them and told them not to send me their spam and or at least put that macs are safe from this virus in their emails, I have gotten no response, nor do I expect one.
  7. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

May 12, 2003
    Fresno, CA (Prescott, AZ for school)
    Like someone said earlier, if only one day they'll be both destructive AND intelligent...hmmm...has anyone seen Terminator 3?
  8. BrandonRP0123 macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Is this the same one as the MS Colon Blaster?

I walled off the ports (135, etc) at the borders of our network (we're an ISP).

On an average day since August 12th I get about a million attempts to exploit it.

Even to this day I still get 3-5 attempts to exploit the MS-SQL Sapphire crap from earlier in the year.
  9. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

Jul 24, 2002
    we have it at work, or at least we are in a panic to prevent it. i posted in another thread about it...it's ridiculous. maybe if i kidnap our head IT guy and force him to use my TiBook.... :D
  10. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.

More Spam!

Feed Me!

*sigh* just sad... I repaired 3 of my friends PC's today... 2 blaster... 1 ... I forget, probably SoSmall (SoBigs Cousin ;) )

It is true... If people had Mac's IT would lose their jobs.

No more messy Virus or Worms... no massive security glitches... arg, someone create a BIG Mac Worm or Virus, I DEMAND IT!

:I'm serious they aren't taking mac serious because they wouldn't need to repair them:
  11. voicegy macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    My school district hit HARD..but listen to this!!

My school district is SWIMMING in the current worm/sobig virus outbreak...it's the worst we've ever been infected. Thursday is the first day back for school site administrators and classified staff (site office staff)...it's going to be sheer hell....we're the 7th largest district in the nation.

In my department, (IT), myself and others are all over this, informing, fixing, maintaining and getting the word out in every single way we can, and I did a personal emergency 5 minute presentation with handout information for all the principals Wednesday afternoon at the principal conference. Get this:

As I was explaining how very serious this virus is, and how the first thing they needed to do upon arriving at school Thursday was to take care of this and to tell their office staff to do the same (I had the fixes posted here: http://sandi.net/help_desk/ the links on the site work only within our district) I casually mentioned that this is a PC issue and it does not affect Macintosh machines. I didn't get snotty about it...after all, I'm the IT Representative, and I'm "platform agnostic" in this role. Before I was able to move on to the next sentence, one principal in the back (there were 150 of them in the room) yelled out "Yay, MACINTOSH!" Well, that was all it took...within seconds people were clapping and laughing and cheering...I was so taken aback that I turned red and just stood there with a grin on my face a mile wide. It was an amazing moment.

A minute later, as I finished up and thanked them for their time, a few hands shot up. One principal asked "What does the virus do?" I mentioned it wasn't malicious per se, such as erasing hard drives, but it can cause your PC to restart by itself at awkward times. Another principal yelled out "Hey, I'm used to that already with Windows!" Again, cheers and laughter.

(This is from a group of folks that have had to use PC's and Windows machines for years, as our "administrative" tasks usually default to a PC, while our larger installed base of Macs generally fall to the "education" side of things...we're currently about 70% Mac install base)

I've never had a better 5 minutes in my entire 18 year career with San Diego Unified. God bless 'em.:)
  12. Chisholm thread starter macrumors regular

May 31, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Re: My school district hit HARD..but listen to this!!

That is really a great story voicegy!

My boss gave me the charge of specing a new file sever the other day. Fortunately, we've been hit by a number of bugs in the last week. I told him I was evaluating OSX and Linux as alternatives to Windows and Novell. He offered, to my amaizment, his support for this. Our university has been hell bent on using windows and novell for years. The times are a changin', even here in Alabama.:p

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    unfortunately, with the larger percentage of Windows users comes a larger chance that there is an idiot who opens any and all attachments with reckless abandon...Even these questionable pif files for which they don't know the creator.