Raising Macbook Pro Off Desk

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by matt18012, Mar 1, 2006.

1. matt18012 macrumors member

Hello,

My Macbook Pro runs very hot, and I'm trying to find ways to help cool it off. Right now I have it suspened with each side of the case resting on two text books. In this posistion there is space undereneath the middle of the notebook. Is this likely to cause any structual problems? Is it best for laptops to ahve even support?

If not, which of these solutions is likely to work the best to cool down the Macbook:

1. laptop resting on metal cookie sheet

2. replacing testbooks mentioned above with cookie sheets

3.placing the notebook on an incline (ie back raised)

I dont want to buy any 3rd party products, i'd rather just use a "homemade" solution. Any comments?

2. _Matt macrumors 6502

You could try submerging it in water. That would work. :eek:

Just kidding of course. I'm sure everyone wants your MacBook Pro to live a long fruitful life.

As for homemade solutions, what you're doing now should be sufficient. As for internal damage due to the incline, I'm pretty sure nothing bad will happen to your MBP if you leave it leaning on two textbooks. Unless, of course, it slips off the textbooks and falls onto your desk (Heaven forbid).

What kind of surface is your desk? If you have a piece of glass somewhere around the house you could place your MBP on the glass over the textbooks or something sturdy to get the airflow and something that will give it even support as well as move the heat away from the MBP.

Just my $.02

3. Aramis macrumors member

Aramis

You could also run two parallel rulers perpendicular to the text books (on top of books, underneath MBP) to provide stability in the other direction. Shouldnt have anything to worry about then.

Let me know what you ultimately end up doing. I may want to do that same.

:)

4. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Just a comment - the same comments regarding the previous generation powerbooks were often made. Aluminum is a conductor of heat, and it acts like a giant heatsink to dissipate heat from the internal components to the ambient air. If your MBP is working as it should, the internal components will not overheat - no matter how hot the outside of the MBP is (in fact, the argument could be made that the hotter the outside of the laptop it, the better job it is doing of dissipating heat from the inside). Just make sure it is on a solid surface, off of sheets or blankets. (if you are worried, use temp monitor or istat nano [versiontracker] to keep track of the processor heat.

....and this is just my opinion, but the elegance of your new high performance laptop will be seriously compromised by setting it on a cookie sheet....

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Dude don't be so tight, you've just spent a small fortune. Buy an iCurve it looks fantastic and will solve your cooling problems. £25 ($40) well spent.