Raleigh/Durham, NC

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by AboveTheChaos, Jun 14, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

Anyone planning to go in Raleigh/Durham? I'm not sure if there will be a big line or not. Also, which would be better Southpoint Mall or Crabtree? Last time, me and my friend hit Crabtree and it does have the benefit of being inside the mall in case there's bad weather.

2. macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I went to crabtree last time. There was a pretty good line, but they had it moving pretty fast.

I haven't decided when I'll get one yet, so I'm not sure.

3. macrumors newbie

I was thinking about going to Crabtree although I've never been there for an Apple launch. What time do folks usually start getting there. Where do they usually meet?

4. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Can't do it. Standing out in the hot waiting for an iPhone just seems too wrong.

5. macrumors 6502a

rablat

Yeah thats why I am torn between crabtree and southpoint.
    I like the southpoint store better, but crabtree would be inside. So
    I am still undecided.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, air conditioning is always appreciated. I think I am hitting Crabtree. I wonder if they'll be handing out water and smoothies like last time.

7. Moderator emeritus

yellow

The other part.. I'm still under the iron fist of my Verizon Overlord for another 1.5 years. :)

8. thread starter macrumors regular

See, I'm not sure just how big a line there will be this time. With the first one and with Leopard's release there were folks lined up hours before. Last time, they closed the store and reopened at 6:00. Me and my buddy got there at 5:30 and there were about 120 people in front but it wasn't bad. They had us line up against the inside rail and wrapped us around.

LOL...I was lucky in that my contract was up right at the time of the first one so it was easy for me to switch.

9. macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Ditto here...

Not sure if it matters for iPhone but in my experiences Southpoint seems to get stock sooner and in higher volumes than Crabtree.

10. macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm still with Sprint but I'm paying my early termination fee...I'm so fed up with them...

11. macrumors newbie

Your buddy got there at 5:30 AM and there were 120 people in front of him? Yeah, I might just wait, that's ridiculous.

12. macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I got there right at 6. Not sure how many people were in front of me, but the line was pretty long and I was in and out in 45 minutes.

The red represents the line.

Attached Files:

13. macrumors regular

I'll probably be at Crabtree. I like Southpoint and all, but the fact that it's outdoors means that people might be able to actually camp out. Hopefully the activation nonsense won't clog up the process too much. :-/

14. macrumors member

I'll more than likely be at Southpoint again. Had a blast hanging with the group from last time and hopefully they'll actually launch a little earlier this time than 6PM.

15. macrumors 65816

pretty sure he meant PM, not AM. Leopard was a 6pm release. Fortunately I had ordered it online and got my copy via UPS around 10am that day, so I installed it during lunch and was rocking it a few hours before the poor souls that waited in line at the store ;)

I wish we knew if it was a morning or evening launch though. Due to the in-store activation I'm thinking it'll be morning, but who knows... plus the decision of whether to go to an Apple store or an AT&T store. AT&T is much closer to me, but part of the experience of going to pick up the iPhone 3G would be doing it at an Apple store with that whole atmosphere... I guess the AT&T stores can be kept in mind as a backup on the off chance that they run out of phones by the time I make my way through the line.

16. Moderator emeritus

yellow

I hung out in Barnes & Noble until the line shortened enough to be just to the corner, hopped in line, got an undersized T-Shirt, and bought Leopard by maybe 7PM?

17. macrumors 65816

I'm hoping the iPhone 3G launch will be just as easy, if not easier, to get through. I don't think the lines will be as big this time, but who knows... either way, I don't work on Fridays anyway, so the amount of time it takes me to get through the line doesn't bother me too much... I just don't want them to sell out of the model I want before I'm able to purchase it.

I saw in another thread where someone had talked to an O2 manager overseas and the person told them they'd have 5,000 units, just like on the original iPhone launch. If by some chance all Apple stores in the US have anywhere even remotely close to that number, I don't think it'll be much problem. I would think it'd pretty much guaranteed that we won't even have 500 people in line for the iPhone 3G on launch day, let alone 5,000.

18. thread starter macrumors regular

I'm thinking they won't sell out so we'll all be good. I just expect there to be long wait times, especially with activation in the store. I figure they'll be a lot of folks complaining and arguing if they're not eligible for the subsidized price. Hopefully, though, it won't be a mess!

19. thread starter macrumors regular

LOL, that sounds like me. I got a shirt, but of course they didn't have my size, so I had to convince myself I could fit into a Medium :D

20. macrumors 65816

is anyone planning on stopping by one of the Apple stores this week to try and do the pre credit check? If so, please report back here. I don't see why they wouldn't do the check, but all I keep hearing is about going to an AT&T store (rather than Apple) to do this.

I plan on trying to go later this week to do it myself and will report back if no one else has. I also plan to ask about if they're selling them at 8am also (don't see why they wouldn't) and if any discounts apply to the plan for the iPhone 3G now that it's being subsidized... 15% student discount on the service plan would be sweet.

21. macrumors regular

ijohnw

Is anyone going to be camping at the stores? Or do you think just getting there early in the morning will be good enough?

22. macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure just getting there early will be fine. I'm still debating whether to go to the Apple store or an AT&T store... I wish Apple would announce already if they're opening up early as well....

23. macrumors regular

ijohnw

so now we know apple is opening up at 8 am too..is anyone going to be spending the night? and at which apple store? im still kinda up in the air about what to do..stay the night or get there early in the morning....thoughts?

24. macrumors 65816

I'll just be getting there an hour or 2 before the store opens I think... I don't work Friday so I'm not pressed for time to get out of there, but I do want to make sure I get a phone there instead of waiting in line only to find out that the model I want gets sold out and I have to go elsewhere. I don't think we'll have too much to worry about them selling out first thing in the morning, but who knows....

25. macrumors newbie

Naomi

I need my beauty sleep!

From what I'm reading, there is really no NEED to camp out the night before... I don't need to be first in line for the thing....I'd just like to have it by the end of the day... Think I'd be okay getting to Crabtree around 6am?