Raleigh Vektar

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Dec 19, 2003.

1. iGav macrumors G3

I (and everybody I used to know) wanted one of these sick puppies back in the 80's! so much cooler than a Grifter! :p

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2211121114&category=420

They also came in a dark grey frame, which looked decidedly cooler if you ask me!!

If I had the time, I'd bid on this, and restore it up, and then cruise the streets of Soho/Hoxton at lunchtimes being the daddy!! ;)

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

You are a very, very, very sad man and I worry about you.

I once left my knackers on a Choppers' gear lever, hated the damn things ever since.:p

3. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Choppers were before my time mate.... :p I was on the tail end of the Grifter revolution with it's twist grip, and then the Vektar was released! :D imagine burning someones back wheel, and then pressing the 'Sonic Space Blaster' button to scare the sh*t out of them!!

quality! :eek: ;) :p

4. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Nooooooooooooo...

(puts head in hands)

That has got to be the Bastard child of a Grifter and an Airfix kit...

If I'd have seen you riding that as a kid, i'd have been honour bound to kick you right off it:D

6. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I'd have just pressed the 'super analogue phaser blaster sound' and scared you away mate back to your mum! :p :p :p

then I'd have cruised the streets with the in-built radio blasting out!!

Wicked!! :D

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Now that's fighting talk for a bloke with a plastic bike and a tranny radio...

:D :cool:

8. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    dunno what you two plebs are on about...

me, i had a grifter with a siren thingy on it that made all them noises and more, like a police siren, a bomb drop and blast, missile launchers and everything!!!

~skips away singing "my mum's better than your mum..."~

:eek: :p :cool:

9. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

until I got my drop-handlebar 10-Speed!! Whoooooooossssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! :p :p :p

Actually it was only a 5 Speed, but who's counting anyway!! heheheh!

10. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    igav...you usually have excellent taste but....

that is one butt-ugly bike.

i'm afraid a schwinn orange crate would put you to shame.

not to mention snag the pretty babies.;)

11. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

looks like I'm out voted on the Vektar then.... *withdraws from eBay Auction* :eek: :p :p :p

12. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

dude, for 40 squid i'd buy it. and yeah, choppers were rad too, but as WinterMute said, it may be advisable to wear a cup heh :eek:

13. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I know it is tempting, I reckon it'd look the bomb in Soho... :D I just wouldn't have the time to fix it all up.... like trying to find a pair of faux Skyway white mag wheels for a start! :D

I'd want it in grey though... at least I wouldn't look 'uncool' on a grey one!! heheheh!!

I shall be keeping an eye on it though over the next few days! ;)

14. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

yeah man, just don't try and bunnyhop on it when yer riding down past raymond revue bar haha (is that still there?)

i still can't do that, after 20 years of trying :eek: just like i can't olly on a deck either...

15. Jagga macrumors member

The Eighties???

iGav, although I did bike ride in the eighties, Im 30 now, and although I also had a bicycle which was similar, can't remember the name but it had a skinny yellow fenders over regular steel spokes, and a skinny plastic fake gas tank, with BIG spoke wheels, I had the good fortune my new friends showed me how truely pathetic it was; especially riding around making my own "tranny radio" sounds out of my mouth.

Wintermouth
    Man I laughed so hard!!!! I haven't laughed that hard in years, thanks.

I actually remember a bmx bike in 1985 called the P.K. Ripper as being the most expensive and lightest bike available for several years ($3000.00Canadian and at 15lbs).

Beautiful bike, anyone have a picture of it???

16. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

bunnyhop.... the Vektar... :p :p :p I bet it weighs the same as a small car :eek: although this was the 80's and anything was possible, so there maybe a 'bunnyhop-assist' button somewhere on it's computer console.... heheheh :D

It's at £38 now.... and here's something totally unreal... someone wants £25 for a Vektar brouchure.... £25.... :eek: it's only £13 less than the actual bike.... :eek: :p :p

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2212201241&category=420

17. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

sold for £53 quid.... bit of a bargin if you ask me... ;) :D

18. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

but not to you? damn dude, you should have got that one....

19. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Not to me... :( I totally forgot it finished on Christmas Day, otherwise I might have been tempted.

I reckon it'd need a fair few quid spent on it.... first thing first I'd get in touch with Raleigh to get the 'grey' colour code, and to see if they had any new-old stock parts for it and also to get copies of the original decals.

Then I'd get the frame powdered coated in the 'grey', bits and bobs re-chromed, and pull everything apart replacing anything worn out.... as you can see, I've thought about this alot.... heheheh:p