RAM Advantages

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aaronb, Aug 11, 2006.

1. aaronb macrumors regular

While I was browsing the Mac store, I noticed that in some systems (ie, the iMac) there are 2 options for 1 GB of RAM. One option is 2 512MB and the other is 1 1GB. Are there advantages of one over the other? Please enlighten me.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Since there are only two RAM slots, if you buy 2 512 MB SO-DIMMs, the machine is full. Should you want to upgrade to 2 1 GB SO-DIMMs later, you have to remove both 512 MB sticks and replace them. You might or might not be able to sell them.

Apple charges too much for RAM, but you might lose more by replacing the two 512 MB sticks.

3. exabytes18 macrumors 6502

If I'm not mistaken, with the DDR2, the ram modules benefit from having a "partner." In which case, 2 512MB is faster than 1 1GB.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But barely.

You're better off having a single 1GB stick and a 256 MB stick rather than two 512 GB sticks.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Not enough of a performance increase to get caught upgrading and to have two sticks you can't sell and end up giving away.

In the case of a PowerMac G5 or MacPro, the situation is reversed because you have plenty of slots.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

As others have stated, it is better to go with the 1GB dimm over the 2 512MB dimms in terms of expandability.

As far as performance goes, I have heard that you can experience a ~5% boost in performance when running DDR in dual channel mode.