RAM allocation in OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by void, Dec 15, 2002.

1. void macrumors 6502

I want to increase the allocation of ram to classic in OS X. I have a DP 1 GHZ MDD with 2 GB of DDR RAM. I'm running after effects in classic and i was wondering if maybe there is a terminal command to allocate more Ram to classic.
    Thanks,
    -vjv

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I haven't tested it but here is what a site says you can do :

"When running Mac OS X, you don't need to manually set an application's memory size for native applications. Mac OS X adjusts the amount of memory as the application requires more or less space. However, you do need to set an application's memory size if you are running an application in Mac OS X's Classic environment. To do this, follow these directions:

1. Determine how much memory is available and accessible to your Mac OS computer. This will give you an idea how much extra memory you can allocate to the application. From the Apple menu, select About This Mac.
    2. Make sure the application whose memory allocation you want to increase is closed. Highlight the application's icon.
    3. From the File menu, select Show Info. The application's information window should open.
    4. In the information window, next to "Show:", select Memory.
    5. In the "Preferred size:" field, enter the amount of memory you'd like to allocate to the application. The "Minimum size:" field indicates the amount of free RAM needed to permit the application to run. You cannot change the "Suggested size:" field.
    "

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

that's correct; OS X allocates RAM on-the-fly, even to Classic, which is simply an X native process. But the applications running within Classic are bound by OS 9 memory constraints, which means the memory fields in Get Info. Adjust those and you should be fine--

:)
    pnw

4. void thread starter macrumors 6502

I have 2 Gb of DDR but i can only allot say 500 mb because only 550 is alloted to classic.

5. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

well... yes

RAM allocation is Dynamic in OS X but you can do some UNIX tricks to place priority on Some running applications.. they will get more recources that way. There is a tread on that topic here some place... do some searches