Ram and Battery

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Chef Medeski, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Does more RAM affect battery. I mean would 1.25g of RAM decrease my battery life over my 512MB RAM.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Fractionally. LCD backlight, hard drive use, and high% CPU use consume far more.

If by adding more RAM, you avoid page outs to the hard drive, and the hard drive can spend more time asleep, it may extend battery life.

3. Chef Medeski thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Theoretically, now could anyone tells me if it realistically happens.

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

heh. your mobo will draw more power with more RAM added. however, it would be so small you wouldn't notice. however, canandaRAM point is still valid, it could save battery life. however, it would hard to give a certain answer to the question because the answer would have statiscally proven towards average computer use. there are situation, i can think of where it wouldn't matter if you had more RAM because you didn't use the swap file, thus making your hard drive work more. there are also situation were there reverse is true. in other words, it would depend on the application and/or user. either way, you won't notice the difference in the big picture so don't worry about it.

5. Chef Medeski thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Ok, well thanks both of you for your help. I think I'm going to go for it and post my findings.