Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Hi,

I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro with 2GB of RAM. Right now, on Lion, my mac gets really slow so I am planning on upgrading the RAM. Should I upgrade to 6GB or to 8GB? Also what screwdriver should I buy so that I can open up this mac?

Thanks

Last edited:

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Hi,

I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro with 2GB of RAM. Right now, on Lion, my mac gets really slow so I am planning on upgrading the RAM. Should I upgrade to 6GB or to 8GB? Also what screwdriver should I buy so that I can open up this mac?

Thanks

I believe that MBP only supports up to 4GB.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
^
I think thats wrong. At the very list it supports 6GB but i actually think it goes up to 8GB too.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
You could max out your RAM at 8GB for $56 at Other World Computing. They're a reputable company, and I order all of my RAM from them.

I maxed out the RAM in my Mac mini by buying 8GB a year or so ago, and also bought an SSD from them shortly after that.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I believe that MBP only supports up to 4GB.
8GB. You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:
Does the 8gb help speed up the computer and load apps ? On 2gb my Mac slows when I open more than two apps.
It won't likely help much with loading apps, but it will help with multitasking or handling large files. You'll get faster boot up times and faster app loading by replacing your HDD with a SSD.

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
It won't likely help much with loading apps, but it will help with multitasking or handling large files. You'll get faster boot up times and faster app loading by replacing your HDD with a SSD.

Of course it will help with loading apps! Lion and 1 or 2 apps running will 100% consume 2GB of RAM, in order to launch a new app then, information loaded in RAM for the OS and other apps has to be written to the swap file on the HDD, this takes time. If there is already RAM free, then the app can just grab available space and load. It's not as big an improvement as launching from an SSD, but, it will definitely help.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Of course it will help with loading apps! Lion and 1 or 2 apps running will 100% consume 2GB of RAM, in order to launch a new app then, information loaded in RAM for the OS and other apps has to be written to the swap file on the HDD, this takes time. If there is already RAM free, then the app can just grab available space and load. It's not as big an improvement as launching from an SSD, but, it will definitely help.
I understand how paging works. I didn't say it won't help at all. I said it won't likely help much. The impact of added RAM will be noticed much more in multitasking and handling large files, large numbers of windows/tabs open more than the impact of app loading time. If app loading time is a primary concern, a SSD will impact that much more than adding RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.