RAM & Applecare Warranty

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xlosltove777, Oct 1, 2006.

1. xlosltove777 macrumors member

I recently purchased a 17'' iMac. I'm considering upgrading the RAM in the next month or so but was wondering about a few things. I purchased AppleCare and was wondering that if I upgrade to 2GB of 3rd Party RAM, will Apple blame whatever problem I have on that. I know I've read in places to keep official Apple RAM handy because that's the first thing to be be blamed. Should I do that, and if so should I just keep 1 512MB stick or both. I would really like to just sell both on ebay or something.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It really is best to keep one stick of Apple RAM, just to help out for troubleshooting purposes should you have to deal with Apple for a warranty issue.

Whether Apple will "blame" your third-party RAM obviously depends on what the issue is. But if the issue could possibly be attributed to bad RAM, you'll want to have the Apple RAM handy so that you can pop it in to verify that it's a problem with the machine itself, making Apple responsible for fixing it.

3. xlosltove777 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Seems like 512MB stick of RAM(DDR2 5300) is going for around $50 on ebay. That helps make the purchase of the 2GB easier.