Ram Buying?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by markjones05, Oct 30, 2003.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have a powerpc G4 dual 1 ghz MDD. I am looking to add another 512 chip to the one i have in there now. What kind do i need and wheres the best place to buy it? When i go into about this mac it says i have 512 mb ddr sdram, but i dont see that kind anywhere on crucial or anywhere else. Am i looking for the wrong thing?
  2. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    at crucial, you should be able to specify your computer model and they will show you the ram you need...

i don't think PM uses DDR. i think it's just sdram.

edit: i was wrong. MDD uses DDR. go to http://www.apple-history.com and find your machine. the ram is specified on there. then go to crucial.com and select PM G4 dual-1 GHz DDR to find your memory.
  3. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    i see 3 512 chips with 3 diff prices can someone explain to me what the difference is between them?

Attached Files:

• ram.jpg
      File size:
      94.9 KB
  4. jamesatzones macrumors regular

Aug 29, 2003
    Private message me and I will get you some awesome prices on RAM and virtually anything else you need. I work as a Corporate Account Manager at Zones, www.zones.com or also know as MacZone www.maczone.com

5. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

May 12, 2003
    Fresno, CA (Prescott, AZ for school)
    I check out www.ramseeker.com to compare prices. I have the same machine you do and got a 512K chip from 1-800-4-MEMORY and its been pretty good. I also bought some other memory from them for my office macs and we only had a problem with one (I think I fried it with static electricity out of the bag).
  6. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    you need the $83.99 one.

go to their system selector and pick G4 PM dual-1 GHz DDR.

i don't know the diff. bet. 2700 and 3200. i think both of them will work.

better yet, CALL THEM. tell them that you have dual 1 GHz MDD PM. they will tell you what you need.
  7. dynamicfigure macrumors newbie

Oct 3, 2003
    Nothing but grief

I bought cheeper 3rd party RAM and went through nothing but grief with my Powerbook. If you look over past posts you will find that getting high quality RAM makes a HUGE difference. Finally, after multiple attempts at the cheeper stuff (and they all told me their product was first rate - guarenteed, etc...) I went with Crucial and have been thrilled every since. It really speeds up how your applications run and getting good ram that keeps your system from crashing and freezing is beyond words in it's value.
  8. alia macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    I was looking at getting ram from OWC. They've been reliable for a lot of people here with other upgrades, and they are $30 less than Crucial. Anyone have any experience with them?

9. ebow macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2001
    Trapped in a world before later on
    I had one or two good experiences with OWC (their non-TechWorks stuff), but went with Crucial the last time I bought memory. Interestingly, Crucial was a bit cheaper for the RAM I needed (older PC133 SDRAM). YMMV, of course.
  10. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    I can pic up 512MD of DDR333 (samsung) for $70AUD at my local retailer(non mac) that's around 45/50USD. works a charm haven't had any problems.:)
  11. Fahd macrumors regular

Oct 26, 2003
    PC 2700 and PC 3200 are very different!
  12. justswitched macrumors newbie

Oct 8, 2003
    so im about to order a 17 inch powerbook should i just order the memory afterwards or should i pay the price and get it preinstalled from apple.

if i bring it to the local apple store, so they charge me for installation?

thanks in advance
  13. Eric Szilagy macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2003
    Al PB 15" RAM

Not all PC2700 RAM create equal. Bought 512 RAM from OWC. Their brand does not have the instruction set specs. for the 15" Al PB. Had to return it. Purchased Techworks brand 512 RAM. That works fine. It also is $12 more expensive. OWC did do the exchange without a hassle.