Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
I have a powerpc G4 dual 1 ghz MDD. I am looking to add another 512 chip to the one i have in there now. What kind do i need and wheres the best place to buy it? When i go into about this mac it says i have 512 mb ddr sdram, but i dont see that kind anywhere on crucial or anywhere else. Am i looking for the wrong thing?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
at crucial, you should be able to specify your computer model and they will show you the ram you need...

i don't think PM uses DDR. i think it's just sdram.

edit: i was wrong. MDD uses DDR. go to http://www.apple-history.com and find your machine. the ram is specified on there. then go to crucial.com and select PM G4 dual-1 GHz DDR to find your memory.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
i see 3 512 chips with 3 diff prices can someone explain to me what the difference is between them?

Attachments

• ram.jpg
    ram.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 414

CMillerERAU

macrumors regular
May 12, 2003
I check out http://www.ramseeker.com to compare prices. I have the same machine you do and got a 512K chip from 1-800-4-MEMORY and its been pretty good. I also bought some other memory from them for my office macs and we only had a problem with one (I think I fried it with static electricity out of the bag).

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
you need the $83.99 one.

go to their system selector and pick G4 PM dual-1 GHz DDR.

i don't know the diff. bet. 2700 and 3200. i think both of them will work.

better yet, CALL THEM. tell them that you have dual 1 GHz MDD PM. they will tell you what you need.

dynamicfigure

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2003
Nothing but grief

I bought cheeper 3rd party RAM and went through nothing but grief with my Powerbook. If you look over past posts you will find that getting high quality RAM makes a HUGE difference. Finally, after multiple attempts at the cheeper stuff (and they all told me their product was first rate - guarenteed, etc...) I went with Crucial and have been thrilled every since. It really speeds up how your applications run and getting good ram that keeps your system from crashing and freezing is beyond words in it's value.

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
I was looking at getting ram from OWC. They've been reliable for a lot of people here with other upgrades, and they are $30 less than Crucial. Anyone have any experience with them?

Alia

ebow

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by alia
I was looking at getting ram from OWC. They've been reliable for a lot of people here with other upgrades, and they are $30 less than Crucial. Anyone have any experience with them?

Alia

I had one or two good experiences with OWC (their non-TechWorks stuff), but went with Crucial the last time I bought memory. Interestingly, Crucial was a bit cheaper for the RAM I needed (older PC133 SDRAM). YMMV, of course.

Fahd

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
Originally posted by jxyama
you need the $83.99 one.

go to their system selector and pick G4 PM dual-1 GHz DDR.

i don't know the diff. bet. 2700 and 3200. i think both of them will work.

better yet, CALL THEM. tell them that you have dual 1 GHz MDD PM. they will tell you what you need.

PC 2700 and PC 3200 are very different!

justswitched

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2003
nyc
so im about to order a 17 inch powerbook should i just order the memory afterwards or should i pay the price and get it preinstalled from apple.

if i bring it to the local apple store, so they charge me for installation?

thanks in advance

Eric Szilagy

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2003
Michigan
Al PB 15" RAM

Not all PC2700 RAM create equal. Bought 512 RAM from OWC. Their brand does not have the instruction set specs. for the 15" Al PB. Had to return it. Purchased Techworks brand 512 RAM. That works fine. It also is $12 more expensive. OWC did do the exchange without a hassle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.