RAM compatability for G5 and expanding proc. (tech stuff)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by *Dash123*, Feb 25, 2006.

1. *Dash123* macrumors newbie

I need to find out how to install ram in a G5 iMac

Refurbished iMac G5 20-inch 2.1GHz SuperDrive
    512MB memory (533MHz DDR2 SDRAM)
    250GB Serial ATA hard drive

and im not quite sure what kind of ram i should be stickin it in this thing, and i espoecially dont wanna mess it up since it is a Mac. First off..how do i open it, and then...what ram should i buy and how much (256,512,1GB) based on if im going to be running games on this thing. Any input would really help :)

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

The ram is called PC4200, 240 Pin, 533mhz DDR2 SDRAM, and your machine can take 2.5GB max, and you will need most of that to run games on it :)

However, with 512mb on the mobo, the only way to get there is to buy (1) 2GB chip, which are fairly expensive. A 1GB chip would suffice for most other tasks, giving you 1.5GB, but games are usually ram-hogs....

Instructions for opening it should be @www.apple.com/support :)

3. *Dash123* thread starter macrumors newbie

exactly what i needed to know:) thanks a million

4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Back from the thread.

I'm looking to add to the stock ram in my iMac (the same lsited above). I see a few websites That list the 2GB module in the $300 range... the 1GB is much lower at about $100.

Does 1GB help... enough? Any thoughts from someone who has upgraded?

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

a 1 Gb module (1.5 total RAM) helps certainly, over the stock 512 Mb, and is enough for most tasks. It depends what you do though. If you do pro level graphics, video or audio production, (probably gaming as well) you would benefit from the 2 Gb module (2.5 Gb total RAM).

6. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

There's the rub... I am doing pro level image transformations and rendering. I've always kept in the back of my mind... the time I went from 512 to 1GB in my AMD Thunderbird system and gained very little from it.. I realize that systems have changed a ton since and I don't know why I still think about it.. but I always hesitate on ram upgrades. :)

Two gigs would be the max benefit, so 2GB I must obtain... now I need the cheapest, tested source.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

In the USA my recommendation is Data Memory Systems - they are knowledgeable and honest and I recommend them without reservation. The 2 Gb is currently US$289