RAM Decision

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sixstorm, Feb 7, 2007.

1. sixstorm macrumors regular

Ok, I have two machines (see my sig). I've been thinking about maxing out the RAM in both machines but I had a question. Will there be a noticeable amount of difference in the iBook (768MB vs 1.25GB)? I'm pretty sure my iMac (1 -> 2GB) will show a great amount of difference but I was just wondering about my iBook.

The PC2700 RAM for the iBook is right at $90 but just wanted to know if it's worth the money.

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

That's a tough one. Yes, you definitely will see an increase in performance with the iMac. Whether or not the iBook upgrade is really worth it depends on what you're doing with it. If it's just your "other machine", that you occasionally use to surf the web, write notes in class, whatever, then it's probably not worth it. If you use the thing everyday for intensive stuff like coding, video or photo editing, then I say go for it.

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I'd also consider how long you intend to use each machine. Obviously, the iMac is pretty new so you'll be keeping that for years. Are you thinking of getting a new laptop sooner than you get a new desktop?

4. sixstorm thread starter macrumors regular

I really would rather get a MBP later this year but I need to start investing in an engagement ring here pretty soon! :D I'm going to ask for some assistance on a MBP for my bday this year so . . .

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

on the iBook, you are probably better off just freeing up some HDD space and emptying any caches, etc. that you can. Maintenance will probably make it zippier at this point than more RAM. And yes. definitely on the iMac.

6. sixstorm thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice Roland.

Well, since the iMac is in upgrade mode (lol), which brand should I get?

NewEgg Corsair ValueSelect (2x1GB DDR2 PC5300) - $184.99 + Tax
    OWC (Same Specs) - $209.99

Any brand better than these? Possibly cheaper?

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I always get RAM from either OWC or DataMem but prefer OWC. A little bit more, but peace of mind...

8. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

I recently stuck a new 1GB stick of centron (centon?) ram in a new intel imac 20" 2.16. It became very unstable, started closing programs unexpectedly. Put the apple ram back in and now all is better... Not sure what to do now. Is there really that much difference in the different brands?