RAM for 15" G4 AlBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by deep square leg, Nov 24, 2003.

1. deep square leg macrumors newbie

Hi all, sorry if this is a repeat, I found a thread on desktop RAM but not the notebook variety.

Am I right in thinking that anything branded as:
    PC2700 DDR333 SO-DIMM
    will fit into my new 15" AlBook when it arrives? If so, what are the best brands to buy? Kingston? Corsair? I'd like to grab two 512s.

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not only a PC->Mac switcher but a Desktop->Notebook switcher, it's an entirely new paradigm for me :)

2. hamfist macrumors newbie

I recently bought RAM for my 15" al pb and unfortunately chose to get some from OWC. don't make the same mistake i did. i got two different modules and both were bad. i ultimately went with Crucial and haven't had a problem yet. the ram specifications you listed are correct, though. i once called apple regarding the kernel panics i was experience from the bad ram. when i posed the question of which aftermarket ram manufacturer is the best, the apple tech noted that Kingston and Crucial are pretty good. he also mentioned that ram is categorized into 'tiers,' whereby tier 1 is the best and tier 3 is the worst (or something of the sort). so i suggest that when you shop for ram you ask this question. interestingly, when i asked OWC what tier their ram was, i was told that 'that information is not available.' hmmm....

hope this helps

3. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

I also bought albook ram from OWC(macsales.com) and it caused my machine to freeze. I had to send it back and i'm awaiting my second module.

Had I known that they were having issues with albook ram I would have spent the extra 40 or so dollars and ordered from crucial. I don't think i've ever heard anyone say they had to return crucial memory.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

In my experience OWC has always been the best, they only use good suppliers. They must have received an entire bad lot from their suppliers.

5. Prabz macrumors member

Hello! A related question:
    What are the technical specifications for PC2700 RAM (15in G4 AluPB) ? I ask this because different websites have different variations of the same...

Basically, what I want to know is this:

1) What is a registered RAM?
    2) ....ditto...Unbuffered RAM?
    3) Non-parity...?
    4) Difference between a 1GB module with "128Meg x 72" (whats that?) and the same with "128Meg x 64" ?
    5) 200pin SODIMM v/s 184pin DIMM? Is there also a 184pin SODIMM and a 200pin DIMM?

Thanks everyone!

6. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Now I'm being told my replacement ram is on backorder :mad:

I can't believe I had a quicker turnaround on a replacement albook than on a 100 dollar stick of ram.... its taken 3 weeks to sort out this mess and I'm told there is no indication of when the ram will ship out.

Save yourself the headache, order from crucial.

7. Toeknee macrumors regular

Toeknee

I got my 512 stick from OWC last week and my powerbook is working just fine no problems at all... guess you guys got some flaky RAM. Sorry to hear that. But 1gig of RAM is magnificent. :)

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

128MB x 64, 72, etc. is the number of blocks (those little black boxes on each stick) and the size of each one.

9. hamfist macrumors newbie

i agree. owc may have gotten a bad batch of ram, but you'd think that given the problems we've had (and i'd assume we are not alone) they would've tested the ram on their own and taken the appropriate action to ensure that more customers do not receive the same ram. although, with my older 800 ti book the owc memory worked flawlessly. too bad. go with crucial for the time being.