RAM for iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by niter, Nov 28, 2003.

1. niter macrumors 6502

I am going to purchase a iBook very soon and I was wondering about the RAM. I decided that I am going with the 12" despite the decrease in processing speed (this was hard to accept) so that I can capitalize on its portability. Besides, and extra 3 seconds to run word or the other basic stuff I do really will not kill me. I unloaded my whopper 14.1" gateway and I will not miss the screen size.

I have decided that I want to buy the RAM from Apple when I order the computer. I know all about the buying RAM elsewhere and installing it yourself (which I have no problem with), but the RAM I have found is not much cheaper than the iBook RAM from Apple, and with shipping for the 3rd party RAM, I might as well just get Apple to do it for me. How much RAM do I need? I am leaning towards the max RAM, but is that overkill? This is what I will be doing with my computer:

Internet/Email
    Word
    Excel
    PowerPoint
    Dreamweaver
    PrintShop
    Apple iApps
    Black and White Game

I will not be doing much of movie making if any. I do not even have a video camera. By the time I get one, I will be graduted and either I or FH will have a G5.

Should I just go with maxing out the RAM at 614MB? Or is it better to just get the extra 256 for a total of 348MB?

Thanks

2. pinto32 macrumors 6502

I am also in the process of switching, and if I have learned anything from these forums, its to buy as much RAM as you can get your hands on....(I'll be ordering the same system in a couple of days, with the RAM maxed out ) :)

3. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Max out RAM, but don't buy the RAM from Apple. It's a rip off.

Get the RAM some place else and install it yourself (it's realy easy if you know how to unscrew 2 screws :p )

4. aldo macrumors regular

Yea - I don't know how you got to the conclusion that RAM from apple is a similar price to other suppliers. Crucial, for example (crucial.com) have some good offers on RAM.

5. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Apple seems to be pretty reasonable with the RAM for the iBook though....crucial is only about $10 less, for example. I do admit that they rip you off on most of the other systems (what manufacturer doesnt though)....

I'd say just get it from Apple, the extra 10 bucks is well worth the peace of mind that comes from having a completely warrented system...(Apple won't repair damage caused by 3rd party RAM)

6. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Sure, if the difference is only $10, go for Apple memory. But good advice is to always check other retailers before buying RAM from Apple...

7. niter thread starter macrumors 6502

It is crucial's prices that are really close to the Apple prices. The extra 512 MB of RAM cost $134 from Apple and are priced at $115 from crucial.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...ple&cat=RAM&model=iBook+(G4+800MHz)&submit=Go

If the difference was greater than $30, I would be getting the 3rd party RAM. I know my way around computers, and I have no hesitations in installing my own RAM. It is just that $20 is within my own personal limits to what I would shell out for an in town purchase. I have cut costs before and received broken things that I either had to bite the cost of or ship back (thus spending my savings on shipping) that for me $20 is worth knowing that if it breaks I can walk across campus and get a new stick of RAM popped in A.S.A.P. at the Apple "store." The only official Apple dealer in this area is at our bookstore and VA Tech and Apple have an awesome relationship providing students with Apples excellent and rapid service. This is why I consider the Apple RAM an in town purchase as the bookstore covers Apple products but not 3rd party RAM. Now, if the stick of RAM from crucial was $100 flat, that would be a different story.