Ram for my Dual G5 1.8........

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mocman, Nov 27, 2004.

1. mocman macrumors regular

I need to know if anyone uses Corsair value select in their G5? I have a stick of 3200 ddr400 that is in my windoz machine and would like to order one of the same and give myself anyother gig.
    Has anyone had any luck?...Thanks in Advance

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

It should work.... why not just take the memory out your PC and put it in your Mac and see if it works? ;)

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Corsair Ram for my Dual G5 1.8

You can certainly try it, however Corsair do not guarantee their RAM for use in Macintoshes. Keep that in mind if you are ever talking to them about support or warranty...

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

4. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

Ummm.. The reason I do not just take the ram out of my pc is that I only have one stick which is 512mb. I just wanted to know if it would work before I waste my money on another stick of 512. Thanks

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well, it's kinda impossible for us to tell if a specific stick will work in the Mac or not, especially seeing as we don't know what model of Corsair PC3200 it is.

As a PC3200 there is more than a 50% chance it will work, although some PC3200s do not work in Macs.

What you're really needing to know is should you splash out for another matching Corsair stick before you know one way or another whether it'll work in the Mac. My opinion is - no. Corsair is low-latency PC Gamer RAM with a premium price, and Corsair disclaim warranty for use in Macs. I would suggest getting a matched pair elsewhere.

If you are determined to try, borrow a known-good 512 PC3200 from a Mac-owning friend and temporaily pair it with the Corsair for testing.

Don't get the idea I'm down on Corsair - they are great products and we sell them to PC users all the time - but they are not the product for Mac owners.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

6. timsq macrumors regular

timsq

Don't use shielded RAM. Other than that, any good DDR CL3 or CL2.5 non-ECC RAM will do. Don't be paranoid. I put in SIMPLE TECH from Sam's Club and it rocks!