Ram for PB 15

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DavidFalling, Mar 21, 2005.

1. DavidFalling macrumors newbie

Mar 10, 2005
    Okay, so im about to get my first powerbook g4 1.67 ghz this week, and i want to have the maximum ram (2 gigs), however, it seems that purchasing the ram directly from apple is a VERY pricy route to take.
    i have looked at other online ram dealers but have heard that "cheap ram= CHEAP/ crappy ram" i even spoke to someone from apple about their expensive ram and they said that you get what you pay for, and that their ram is top of the line.
    would you recommend getting the more expensive ram from apple, and not having to deal with a 3rd prarty. OR save some money, but possibly get cheap bad ram and void the warranty??? :confused: :confused: :eek:
    thanks a ton!
  2. kg9ov macrumors member

Feb 12, 2005
    In front of a computer...
    I would recommend Crucial. They make excellent memory (in my opinion), are cheaper than Apple, and guarantee it will work in your system.

3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    There are some misconceptions on this board about Apple's memory prices. They are usually higher, but I'm sure some of this covers installation and labor.

In fact, two 1-GB sticks from Crucial are $771 compared to Apple's $850. With Crucial you get the added benefit of an extra 512MB stick, but installing it can be a bit tricky with the Powerbooks. Not because it requires much technical skill, but because they are stacked behind each other and you don't have much room to make sure it's done correctly.

When you're spending this much money, you could save about a hundred dollars, but I would personally prefer to know that all of my components are from Apple. This makes reselling and diagnostics a lot easier if something goes wrong with the computer.

Really, no matter where you buy from, good non-generic DDR SO-DIMMs will not be cheap. Crucial is good, as you can see by the close price difference. Generic RAM will have bad latency (CL ratings), bad memory cells... I would stay away from it for sure. :)

If you DO choose the cheaper RAM, make sure it is from a reputable seller, is compatible with your Powerbook, and has a lifetime warranty.
  4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Apple's "top of the line" comment is true to one extent: Apple has the clout to make sure the RAM they get is all tested. Otherwise it is the same RAM modules that are available to other sellers.

Apple will give you a 1 year warranty on the RAM. A good memory vendor will give you a lifetime warranty.

2 x 1 Gb prices
    Apple = US$850.00 1 year warranty Samsung module
    Crucial = US$771.98 Micron module
    Kingston = US$590.00 Kingston module
    Data Memory Systems = US$418.00 for the same Samsung module that Apple sells.

All of the above are guaranteed to work in the Powerbook and all are CAS Latency 2.5. With the exception of Apple all are lifetime warranty

I just don't get the "gotta go Crucial" mantra. They have done one heck of a job of advertising their brand name. But their prices are not great, and the RAM is not invincible.

Just to put the record straight, we sell Crucial RAM in Canada, as well as Kingston, DMS, Corsair, Shikatronics and OCZ. Each brand has its strengths. For Macs, however, I highly recommend the Data Memory Systems memory.

They know Macs, they are honest, and they have been in business for over 17 years. If you are in the USA, call them and see what excellent customer service is.

5. DavidFalling thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 10, 2005
    Yeah, your probably right. i was definately thinking about the labor of putting the memory in and how difficult that would be alone. good tip, thanks for the help. much appreciated! now im excited to get my first powerbook! WOO!! anyone know how long a BTO powerbook usually takes to build and ship?
  6. moodler macrumors newbie

Mar 16, 2005
    Western Australia
    For me, currently, 5 weeks AND COUNTING. : :( :(
  7. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    That doesn't seem right at all, I would call and make sure your order is being processed...
  8. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

May 6, 2004

I just ordered a 512MB Ram module for my Powerbook (Al) from OWC (macsales.com) for $70, today.
    Lifetime warranty and good sales staff.

Are you sure you need 2 GB? I suggest trying 1 GB (2x512) first, to see if it fits your needs, and possibly saving $500.
  9. tykles macrumors member

Dec 12, 2004
    my (limited) understanding is that if RAM works, it works- there isn't a gradation of quality. With that said, I bought the cheapie 1GB stick from newegg for under $200. It works. My Powerbook got noticeably more responsive. Give it a shot- newegg has excellent customer service, a solid track record, the RAM is CAKE to put in, and you will save something like 4 hundred dollars on 2GB- that's a lot of money.
  10. joshua_msu macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2004
    chicago (formerly detroit)
    Another vote for DMS. They have the exact same Samsung memory Apple uses, just about half the cost. Crucial is overrated. They have good service and a lifetime warranty, but so do many others like DMS, but for much less.