RAM for Powerbook...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by PlaceofDis, Jun 26, 2005.

1. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    I have a rev a powerbook 12" it has been running with stock ram since i first got the machine, and since i upgraded to tiger i have noticed quite a slowdown when i have more than three apps or so open and i know that this is because of the bottleneck of my ram issue....

now i have always planned on upgrading the ram, but being a college student it was hard to make it a priority....

flipping through the adds today i saw this (hopefully the link works) but it is for K-Byte 512 PC2700 DDR ram @ 59.99, which i can certainly afford right now and would like to pick up. i know that it is basically a generic brand, but it does have a lifetime warranty, but my question is if it will work with my powerbook?
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Does Best Buy say it will work in your Powerbook?
    If not, then it's a crapshoot.

I just hate that "Regular $199 you save $140 now only $59.95" B@!!$#!^

You want a SODIMM that is tested and guaranteed to work in your Powerbook, and has a lifetime warranty for $59? Do yourself a favor and buy from a vendor who knows and supports Macs.

3. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    I would go to a known quality retailer like OWC or Crucial.

You should be able to get a pair of 512 sticks bringing your PB
    up to snuff for a reasonable price without sweating quality.

I've had to return RAM to both BestBuy and CompUSA.
  4. tsk macrumors 6502a

Jan 14, 2004
    Actually he can only get one stick for the PB. The 12" has 256MB already soldered on.
  5. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    Ooops! forgot that problem.

OK so ONE real nice 1 GB stick