Ram for PowerBook....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AJ Muni, Aug 29, 2005.

1. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

i kno, i kno i should use the search feature. BUT i just bought the powerbook in my signature, and i wanna up the RAM already. I bought 1gb of ram for my past ibook from crucial for like $140. but when i checked for the powerbook, it was $205 !!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: ...so i went here http://www.datamem.com/parts_that_f...G4+1.5GHz+(M9690LL/A)+12"_A_MF_E_Apple_A_C_E_ .....and it was alot cheaper....is this the right ram for my powerbook?? are they reliable??? canadaram what ya think??? :p

2. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

I bought the 1G of Ram from apple when I got my PB and then i wanted another gig so i went to a place called "apple docs" in Salt Lake City. I got another gig for about $120...you can find it just look around..and trust me, its worth it! :D

3. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Oh theres no doubt that i kno its worth it...it completely blew me away when i went from 256, to 1.25gb in my ibook...and even going from 512 to 1.25 gb in my pb i kno there will be a difference. but my question is, that if the site i was above was reliable...ive seen it on the forums before..

4. tristan macrumors 6502a

Check out www.dealram.com - it's a price grabber for Powerbook RAM upgrades. After checking that, I got my RAM from PowerMax because it was almost as cheap, and I was also buying some other stuff at the time.

5. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

I have heard good things about Data Memory Systems, but whatever you do, do not buy from OWC. I just got 2 bad sticks from them, and the two they shipped as replacements were bad as well. I got my refund from them and now my money (plus some) is going to Crucial.

Try paying $242 for 2 x 512mb sticks of PC133ram. :eek:

Just my recent experience, FWIW.

6. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Good God, are you sure they were compatible with the system you were installing them in?

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hey AJ

Yes this is the thing for your Powerbook. That will be an Infineon or Siemens module for $144. They also have the Samsung original module for -- $169 I think. Both will perform equally well.

I have dealt with Data Memory Systems for over 5 years and they are the best memory company in the USA, bar none. (I'm gonna stake out bragging rights for Canada, y'understand... :D )

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

8. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I second that. They provided great service, and the memory is top notch and compatible. I would definitely buy from them.

9. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

If you don't use the Crucial finder, and instead look it up on the left panel, you will find the 1 GIG stick, for $159.99.

10. bammac macrumors member

Sounds like that is the best deal on the net, I went with www.macramdirect.com as I found they did prompt international shipping.
    1GB No Name ($150) & 1GB Samsung Ori. ($190) pricing, I grabbed 2gb of no name and happy with the purchase, but judging by the above DMS is the best to go with.

11. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

12. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Yep!:mad:

They were nice enough about it on the phone though, as they gave me a full refund (no restocking fee), but i have to pay return shipping. (BAH!)

All 4 sticks separately caused kernel panics and every stick had reported failures in both Rember and memtest.

13. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Was is RAM for your powerbook? I think they have listed wrong for your Rev at OWC. So what they are shipping you isn't actually right for your Rev. I had a friend go through exactly the same thing and that was what the problem turned out to be.

14. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Ok, last post for hijacking this thread! If you want to read about my perils take a look at this thread.
    swiftsaw, that sounds like it maybe the case, although i have no clue if my PB would even recognize the wrong sticks. All their sticks passed the crappy Apple hardware test, system profiler showed them both correctly, etc.

Here is the info from OWC (the first ram i bought that didnt work):
    PC133 SO-DIMM (PC-100 / PC-66 backwards compatible)
    CL3 Rated Refresh, 3.3 Volt, 144 Pin, 1.25" tall (low profile)

Here is the info from Crucial (the ram i just bought, and will be here wed/thurs):
    SDRAM • PC133 • CL=3 • Non-parity • 133MHz • 3.3V • 64Meg x 64 144 Pin SODIMM

All looks to be the same, but i guess with ram, specs are just numbers! OWC also listed the ram that i bought as compatible with all TiPBs!
    </rant></thread hijacking>

15. synergy macrumors regular

I've been looking for RAM for my G4 1.25 powerbook as well. Went through two different configs of memory purchased from Coast Memory. Result was kernel panics. RAM is not defective. Problem is the Powerbooks are very finicky when it comes to RAM. I did a Google search on the issue and found many many similar complaints with regards to the RAM. I ordered the Samsung stuff Apple apparently uses, we will see how that works.

16. OWC Larry macrumors member

OWC Larry

OWC PowerBook Memory

We provide top quality memory with a money-back guarantee and Lifetime Advance Replacement Warranty. Not only do we long-test all of our memory in house to prevent DOAs (in addition to testing done by our contract mfr), we also batch test each build of modules in the actual systems we sell any particular part for.

The OWC133SO512328L part we offer is compatible with ALL TiG4 Models 400/500/550/667/800/867/1GHz. We still ship several hundred of this a month to customers and without issue.

It is not for the Powerbook G4 12/15/17 Aluminum models - those units required DDR 200 Pin SO-DIMMs. The most popular module we offer there is the OWC27SAMSO1GB which is the EXACT Samsung Factory original module Apple has installed in BTO PowerBooks... only difference is Apple charges about $400 for the module we sell for $167.

If there is ever a problem, I can always be contacted directly - but our tech support and customer support groups are there to assist 100%.

Our memory is known for it's quality - getting especially a lot of PR when the Apple Firmware update resulted in a lot of inferior memory to stop working in systems and OWC is further known for our long time Mac dedication and support of our customers.

We are here to support our customers and it's why we are here period. And any issue that exists - I never have any problem with being contacted directly for as my goal is to have every customer and happy and returning OWC customer.

- OWC Larry
    President - Other World Computing

17. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

I don't doubt it, however four sticks reached me that were DOA. Maybe you need to check with something in your shipping chain to make sure that the RAM is not damaged in shipping or processing. Four bad sticks either means problems with RAM handling along the way, a bad batch of RAM, or faulty tests. If my handling of the RAM was improper, then i would have fried my OEM ram as well. Note that i was not trying to knock your business, but was stating a personal experience with the company. That said your sales/support staff were quite helpful.

Thanks for your concern and your post.