RAM in old iMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by CubeHacker, Dec 31, 2003.

1. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

I just bought an old iMac DV off ebay to play around with (it would be my first mac ever!). I want to get some more RAM for it, but i'm a bit confused. Checking Apple's website, it says that it takes PC100, with a max of 512mb stick in 2 slots for a total of 1gb of RAM.

Now the problem is, which memory should I purchase? Looking around online, the prices for old PC100/133 are much higher, since they are for the most part, no longer in production and no longer price competative. I've found prices ranging from about $45 for a 512mb stick, all the way up to $150. Thats a huge difference! The cheaper sticks are labeled as "generic", and claim to only work with Athlon chipsets, and are not guarenteed to work with Intel chipsets. I can never find a mention for Apple computers, except for places with extremly inflated prices.

Does anyone know if these cheap, generic ram sticks would work fine in an iMac?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Anything Apple that says PC100, you'd want to put the next speed in PC133 -- at a minimum.

Apple's spec for the PC100 memory was a bit tight, and they ended up with a PC133 spec memory in the 100MHz boards in later machines.

These were a lot of the machines OS X and the firmware upgrades made lots of memory non functional.

3. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

I searched for and purchased my iMac DV's memory at www.crucial.com. I am happy with the service. Very fast delivery, easy selection. Guaranteed to work.

4. CubeHacker thread starter macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Crucial is the best. And for DDR memory, they are the way to go. But for old PC100/133 ram, they are easily twice the price compared to some of the ram that can be purchased over places advertised on www.pricewatch.com. I just want to know if cheap generic memory works. Anyone have any experience here?

5. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Just curious? What model is your iMac? I am running Panther on my iMac DV special edition(graphite) 400 mhz. I am amazed at the life span of this darn computer. I photoshop with it, and all sorts of cool stuff. A new machine would be a lot more productive however. Soon, very Soon, I can't wait until I get my tax returns back. The things that my current mac can't do....
    iSight, new games, and Keynote. Darn. I really need Keynote.

6. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Oh Yeah, I have 640 megs of ram. Still room left to grow.

7. CubeHacker thread starter macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Its an iMac DV 400mhz (blueberry). I have not received it yet, but it only has 64mb of Ram. I plan to stick Panther on it, and well, 64mb just isn't enough :)

I would really like to get 512mb on it, but I just can't justify spending $120 for ram when the entire iMac only cost me $180.

8. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I have 1 GB of ram in my Ruby iMac DV and it really helped. Anything over 512 should be fine though.

9. smada macrumors member

most PC-133 or PC-100 sticks will work. with the extremely cheap generic stuff, there might be a little room to worry, but not too much. and definitely get more than 64 mb!!!!

512 will be nice and fast, but I certainly never regretted upgrading to 1 GB. now I'm even considering upgrading to 2 gigabytes. Does anybody know if an iMac DV SE can handle SDRAM that dense? Maybe it's just because I have nothing else to spend my money on, being a responsibility free teenager, but I can't resist it whenever a new opportunity to max out the iMac presents itself.

10. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I have two 512 MB PC133 sticks in my iMac DV. Bought them from Crucial. I've had no problems whatsoever.