RAM Issue - Mac G4

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hungryjoey, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Hungryjoey macrumors newbie

Hello, I am starting to use this mac alot more now. So I got a copy of OS x 10.3 after previous attempts of insatlling 10.4. So 10.3.9 is running very well on this Mac G4 400Mhz.

Now the issue is I have just put 2 x 256MB PC133 Sticks in. Its been lying around for ages with no RAM in it so I am unsure what modules were in it before. Instead of it being read as 2 x 256MB its being read as 2 x 128MB ( 256MB Total ) modules. I tried with each individual module and it still reports each module as 128MB.

Is there any known issues like this or is there anything I need to take into consideration ?

Thanks,

Hj

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes, you put in the wrong sticks.
    The PC133 modules you have are high density chips and not compatible with the G4 towers, so the memory controller is only reading half of the rows and columns on each chip, 'coz it can't count any higher.

You need low density DIMMs. I recommend contacting a reputable dealer who guarantees Mac compatibility If you are in the USA try Data Memory Systems or OWC (MacSales)

3. Hungryjoey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, I have 2 x 256MB PC100 sticks lying around somewhere. I'll give them a try.

Hj