Ram issues??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zen.state, Dec 4, 2006.

1. zen.state macrumors 68020

Mar 13, 2005
    Hi all. I recently bought a G4 MDD dual 867 and I LOVE it.

I am having just one issue with it though.. A couple hours after I got it I ran the Apple Hardware Test on it and it found an issue with 1 of the 3x256 memory sticks. It simply said that it failed the test. The 2 hours before I used the hardware test I was running Tiger with no issues at all.. No kernel panics at all and none ever with it. I thought that was a sure sign of bad hardware? Is the ram ok or not?

Anyway.. now and then the system just locks up on me. If I am playing music or a podcast when it happens it sounds like a record skipping over a 1 second part of a song over and over till I do a hard boot. Everything locks when it happens. The lock ups are too varied and different to easily trouble shoot the issue..

Other times it has happened was when I opened a video podcast in itunes and twice when I was using Google Earth.

Any thoughts or ideas?
  2. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

Dec 8, 2005
    Have you removed the stick of RAM that failed the hardware test?
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Same answer as on ehMac ... it's the RAM.

If you leave it in there, it's going to damage your data eventually as you crash the machine.

Seriously -- it's crashing randomly (which points to either hardware or badly corrupted OS) and AHT has fingered a RAM stick. What'cha waiting for?
  4. zen.state thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 13, 2005
    its out now.. I ran the hardware test again and everything passed with flying colours on the entire system.

the thing is though that now I only have 512MB :(

*breaks out wallet to buy more*

I have bought from CanadaRAM before and I will again. None of the MDD's RAM is from CR though.. I bought a 256 for my B&W G3..