RAM mac verses PC

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by trainguy77, Aug 16, 2004.

1. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Is there a difference between PC133 RAM sold from a mac dealer and PC133 RAM sold from a windows dealer? Because i am going to buy a 512 MB stick. The computer stupports PC 133 or 100 it does not matter.

Also should i go with PC 133 or PC 100? Will the PC 133 run faster, or more stable?

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

There is more to RAM than just the speed. I think there's a good chance that the RAM from a PC vendor might not work.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A lot of the PC stuff may fail, if...

DIMMs with any of the following features are not supported in the Power Mac G4: registers or buffers, PLLs, ECC, parity, or EDO RAM.

If it is a Mac released after the G4 Macs with a 100MHz bus, your best choice may be the PC133 memory -- Apple's specifications for PC100 are quite tight and likely will mean that most PC memory will fail, Apple fixed this by using PC133 memory.

4. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

Soooooo it would be safest to buy for a mac vendor.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

RAM is RAM. So long as it's the right stuff (EDO :eek:, SD, DDR, RAMBUS), and runs at the right speed (though in a lot of cases if it's faster than required it will also work) you'll be fine. RAM is not Mac or PC specific, it's a standard of its own, you just need to make sure to buy the right "standard' for your system.

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Use the RAM selector on Crucial's website for the RAM specs of your machine. Then buy from whoever you like, if you are willing to risk problems. Otherwise, stick to brand name dealers.

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I guess I should have made my point in that post. It's just a common misconception that all PC133 is the same, all DDR333 is the same, etc, which isn't true.

8. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

so it does not matter? Should i still check for regiters or buffers, PLLs, ECC, parity , or EDO ram?

9. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

You save me typing all that ;) ... as long as you give the shop the correct details, pins/speed and etc it should work fine provided the RAM is not faulty.

10. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Crucial is generally my vendor of choice. They have good prices and they carry pretty much every type of RAM imaginable.

12. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Agreed, and the ram selector makes it very easy to choose your ram. Just enter your machine and it matches you up perfectly. I've used them twice, prompt, efficient and well-priced.

13. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

i bought my ram from a PC vendor. I just made sure it was the right type.