RAM Manufacturer - Curious

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jessep28, Mar 17, 2007.

1. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Apple buys RAM on contract from Hynix, Micron, Samsung, and sometimes Elpida, IBM and Nanya. You cannot buy directly from any of these sources (unless you are buying 100,000 or more at a time). But you can buy from a reseller. For example, Crucial puts their brand on Micron modules (but also others, they do not exclusively use Micron even though they are owned by Micron).

What is not so important as the brand of the chips, is the sellers guarantee that the specific modules are tested and compatible with your Mac. Buying a ganaric Samsung module from a PC discounter is not much safer than any other brand generic module, other than the Samsung is less likely to be faulty than the lowest price "B" grade generics.

Samsung for example makes hundreds of different modules in different configurations, so the name Samsung is not a guarantee that the specific module you are looking at is Mac compatible.

There is no performance or speed difference between two brands of modules that are 100% compatible, because the Mac sets the speed, not the RAM module. There is no performance increase to be gained by installing "faster" modules.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. jessep28 thread starter macrumors 6502

jessep28

That's what I figured. I don't need memory for a while I was just curious.

For some industries (e.g., Cars) it's better to upgrade/replace from whomever manufacturers the original component. Other stuff you can buy as long as it's Original Equipment and is certified to work on whatever you are putting it on.

4. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

does this mean that price don t mattter as long as the specifics are matched? no diferent qualities or anYthing like that with RAM?

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It means that the specific brand doesn't matter as much as estabishing that they are well made AND 100% compaptible. How do you know? You don't.
    There is not enough compatibility information in the published specs for you to know the difference between two modules which are nominally PC3200, or DDR2-667.

You either have to take your chances and do the testing yourself, or you have to rely on the seller's assurance of compatibility. This is why for most Mac owners, I recommend staying with a reputable seller who offers a lifetime warranty, tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Mac, and offers a no cost (no restocking, no shipping charge) return if it doesn't work.

6. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

ohhhhhhhhh,,, i see,, well you learn something new everyday. (more like 50 things a day since i joined MR).