Ram Matching Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kellte2, Jul 10, 2005.

1. kellte2 macrumors regular

I have a g5 iMac rev A with stock memory (256MB) and I'm looking to make an upgrade.

I plan on going through Crucial, but I've encountered the whole "ram matching" issue as I've done a little research. So my question is: is it worth matching the 256MB stick in the G5 to upgrade to 512 MB with a 128-bit bus or should I just get the 1GB stick and move up to the 1.25 GB range of memory and leave the bus at 64-bit?? I'm new to this stuff so pardon me if this is a dumb question. Thanks.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

It's actually a good question. Generally speaking, the RAM has to be matching in every way (brand, configuration, etc), so you won't get the 128 bus using your existing RAM, at least in all likelihood (anyone please correct me if i'm wrong). But all real-world tests seem to show the 128 bit bus doesn't offer any real improvement outside of extremely demanding, professional-level apps. So a lot of people say, screw it, get as much RAM as you can. You're probably better off getting the 1gb stick. Since I'm really anal, I'm going with 2x512 at my next upgrade, to see for myself if the 128-bit bus is worth it.

3. kellte2 thread starter macrumors regular

so I had another thought....

would getting 2x 512MB chips from crucial and selling the 256 chip be faster than adding 1 GB to the 256 MB chip I got the with computer?

4. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Forget the matching RAM crap. Benchmarks show no increase in performance. Drop the 1GB stick in there and watch your iMac fly. That's what I did.

5. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I got a stupid question what is an Avatar that i always seen in threads and further more what is folding i hear so much about? Disregard this thread if thats a really annoying question.

6. Sam I Am macrumors regular

An Avatar is the little picture below a member's user name that they get to pick once they have 500 posts.

7. kellte2 thread starter macrumors regular

8. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

My apologies for the hijacking of the thread.

9. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Get as much ram as you can afford.

10. wide macrumors 6502a

What is the cheapest place to get RAM? i'm looking for ibook RAM modules. Crucial.com offers a 1gb stick for $140. does anyone know of a better deal than that?

11. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

Newegg.com has got 2x512mb sticks for around $80 and a 1gb stick for 104 before shipping. Alot of people on this forum prefer Mac guaranteed ram, however lots of reviews on newegg.com are from users with PBs who are happy with their ram.